Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA)
The Australian Postgraduate Awards(opens in a new window) are Commonwealth Government funded scholarships. They are awarded to exceptional new candidates to assist with general living costs while undertaking higher degree research.
The Australian Postgraduate Awards are for full-time study towards higher degrees by research. These awards are funded by the Department of Education and competition for the APA scheme is intense; only eligible applicants with a first-class Bachelor Honours degree or equivalent qualifications and experience will be offered an award.
The scholarship provides a $25,392 tax-free stipend for full time study in 2016 and is indexed annually. Relocation and thesis allowances are also available. Successful applicants will be awarded a Research Training Scheme funded place in the course.
Western Sydney University top-up scholarships of $10,000 per annum may also be awarded to the highest ranked applicants.
The tenure of the award is three years for Doctoral candidates and two years for Masters Honours (research masters) candidate. Please note that all periods of prior higher degree study at any institution are deducted from the tenure of the scholarship.
- be a domestic student (Australian Citizen, a permanent resident or a New Zealand Citizen)
- not already hold an academic qualification equivalent to or at a higher level than the research higher degree program you are undertaking.
- not have previously held a research higher degree scholarship funded by the Australian Government (other than IPRS) for three months or more, unless seeking to transfer with the agreement of your current institution.
- have or expect to attain a First Class Bachelor Honours degree or equivalent qualifications and experience.
- should usually be commencing full time enrolment in a research higher degree for the first time in 2016 or 2017.
How to apply
For information about opening dates and the application process, please visit the main round scholarships page.If you have a specific enquiry, please contact the Research Scholarships Development Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.