How to Apply for Research Degrees
Master of Philosophy
Step 1: Review the admission criteria
Western Sydney University must be satisfied that you are able to commence independent study at a suitable level for entry into the Master of Philosophy.
The approved qualifications for entry into the Master of Philosophy are the following:
- Master of Research degree; or
- Bachelor (Honours) degree; or
- Bachelor degree plus demonstration in an appropriate discipline of research capacity; or
- Qualifications from a university or other tertiary institution deemed to be the equivalent to the requirements set out above.
The approval of prior experience or qualifications for all higher research degrees is at the discretion of the School Dean or Institute Director.
Step 2: Find a supervisor
All research candidates must have a supervisory panel consisting of a principal supervisor and one or more co-supervisors.
Prior to preparing your application, you should contact the Higher Degree Research Director in a relevant School or Institute. In your email to the HDR Director, you should describe your experience, qualifications and area of research interest. The HDR Director can assist you in identifying potential supervisors.
Step 3: Prepare your documentation
You will be required to include the following information as part of your application:
- Certified copies of all tertiary graduation certificates and academic transcripts for degrees completed outside of Western Sydney University.
- Certified proof of citizenship status (passport, birth certificate, citizenship papers, etc.) or certified proof of residency status (Australian permanent residents only).
- Evidence of English language proficiency for applicants who completed their previous qualifications overseas.
- A detailed research proposal (PDF, 116.14 KB)(opens in a new window) identifying potential supervisors and proposed project title and research activity (maximum of two pages).
- Evidence of research output (such as books, journal articles, conference presentations, exhibitions, creative works and professional experience).
- Evidence of employment directly related to research training (if applicable).
All copies of official documents must be certified according to Western Sydney University requirements.
Step 4: Submit your application
All applications must be submitted using the Online Application Form. Applications can be made at any time and there is no cost to apply.
It may take 6-8 weeks to receive an outcome for your application. All offers of admission require agreement by the relevant School or Institute for the provision of supervision and resources.
Western Sydney University provides a range if scholarships to assist students undertaking higher degree research. For more information and how to apply, visit the scholarships page.