Special Opportunities and Study Tours
Maria Rudder, Bachelor of Arts, National Central University Taiwan
Spend a few amazing weeks abroad or maybe a semester. Can’t afford to go abroad? Many of the activities on this page provide a unique opportunity to be supported by special mobility grants and scholarships.
- See below for further information about mobility grants and scholarships available
- Eligible students can receive a deferred OS-HELP loan valued up to $8,149
- Many programs include cultural excursions
- Approved study overseas can count toward your degree in Australia
How do I participate in an overseas experience?
STEP 1: Research an opportunity below and submit an application
- Explore what experience you would like by researching the opportunities below:
- You may be able to replace one of these activities with an elective or core unit
- English is the medium of instruction at most of the locations
STEP 2: Apply for Academic Approval
- Discuss your preferred option with your Academic Course Adviser (ACA) or placement coordinator - visit your School website and see 'Contact'
- To receive recognition for your overseas experience, it is important that you seek advice from your Academic Course Advisor and apply for academic approval at least 3 months prior to commencement. Find out how to apply for Academic Approval below:
STEP 3: Apply for OS-HELP
- You may be eligible for OS-HELP, a deferred HELP debt loan for undergraduate Australian citizens - loans of $4,000, $6,791 or $8,149 are available. Academic Approval is required; have completed 80 credit points of study, and have 10 credit points remaining on return.
- Note, depending on the program, some of the opportunities below provide a scholarship, tuition waivers, free or cheap accommodation etc.
STEP 4: Complete the 'Before I Go' Online Checklist
Complete the Online Checklist (opens in a new window) to ensure you have completed the important tasks before heading overseas. This includes applying for a Student Mobility Travel Grant and information about travel insurance.
Study Tours and Short Programs
Mid-Year Break (June/July 2019)
|Country||Ref||Program||Disciplines||Travel Dates||Grants/Scholarships Available||Applications|
|England||Leeds||Leeds international Summer School||Multi-discipline||July||Yes||Open|
|Germany||Start-up Experiential Learning Programs in Berlin||Multi-discipline||July||No||Open soon|
|Hong Kong||Enterprise Innovation & Entrepreneurial Practice||Business||July||NCP*||Open|
|Indonesia||Public Health Study Tour||Health Science||July||NCP*||Open soon|
|Japan||Short Study tours||International Relations||July||NCP*||Open soon|
|Japan||Two weeks in Japan - tuition waiver and free accommodation!||Japanese Studies||July||Yes||Open soon|
|Malaysia||Indigenous Communities Study Tour||Health Science||July||NCP*||Open soon|
|Singapore||Enterprise Innovation & Entrepreneurial Practice||Business||July||NCP*||Open|
|South Africa||Have you ever wanted to go on safari to Africa?||Multi-discipline||July||No||Open soon|
|South Korea||Enterprise Innovation & Entrepreneurial Practice||Business||July||NCP*||Open|
|Taiwan||Immersion Experience and Internship program||Business||July||NCP*||Open|
|Taiwan||25839||A Field study: Enhancing Collaborative and Culturally Appropriate Care||Multi-discipline||June||NCP*||Open|
|Taiwan||25356||A Field Study - Taiwan Inter-Professional Public Health Immersion Experience||Multi-discipline||July||NCP*||Open|
|Timor-Leste||25589||Mobile Stories||Screen Media and Communication||July||NCP*||Open|
|United States||Silicon Valley Student Innovation Program||Multi-discipline||July||No||Open soon|
|Vanuatu||21882||Sustainable Development in the Pacific||Communications||July||NCP*||Closed|
|Vietnam||Students wanted for Short Program in July||Business - students from other disciplines welcome||July||NCP*||Open|
|Vietnam||Scholarship for Internship||Business - students from other disciplines welcome||July||NCP*||Open|
* Australian Government New Colombo Plan Mobility Grant up to $3000
End-of-Year Break (Between December 2019 and February 2020)
Region / Country
Have a keen interest in conservation, marketing, hospitality, history or similar
29 Nov – 22 Dec 2019
|China||Internship - 360° View of Chinese Business and Culture||Multi-discipline||Any time between November 2019 and February 2020||NCP*||Closed|
|China||17887||Work-Integrated Learning Experience||Business||Dec||NCP*||Closed|
|China||21882||Market Research Study Tour||Business||Dec||NCP*||Closed|
|China||SoB||Australia-China Bridging Culture Program in Beijing||Business||Dec||Yes||Closed|
|Europe||CIS||January in Barcelona, Naples, Rome and Florence||Multi-discipline||Jan||Yes||Closed|
|Europe||CIS||January in France, Italy and Greece||Multi-discipline||Jan||Yes||Closed|
|Europe||CIS||January in Italy, France, the Netherlands and Czech Republic||Multi-discipline||Jan||Yes||Closed|
|Hong Kong||Enterprise Innovation & Entrepreneurial Practice||Business||Jan||NCP*||Closed|
|India||West Bengal Study Tour||Communications||Nov||NCP*||Closed|
|India||TATA Consultancy Services Engagement||Information and Communication Technology||Nov||NCP*||Closed|
|India||Promoting Gender Justice||Social Science, Psychology||Nov||NCP*||Closed|
|India||Professional Development and Industry||Information and Communication Technology||Jan||NCP*||Closed|
|Indonesia||ACICIS Study Indonesia||Multi-discipline||Jan||NCP*||Open|
|Indonesia||The Journalism Professional Practicum (JPP)||Communications||Jan||NCP*||Closed|
|Indonesia||Language Short Course (ILSC)||Languages||Jan||NCP*||Closed|
|Indonesia||CommTECH Camp Sociopreneurship in Action||Multi-discipline||Jan||Yes||Closed|
|Israel||HACK||Learn why Israel is known as ‘The Startup Nation’||Multi-discipline||Jan||No||Closed|
|Japan||MEF||All expenses paid study tour||Japanese studies||Jan||Yes||Closed|
|Malaysia||Internship and Study Tour||Multi-discipline||Jan||NCP*||Closed|
|Philippines||Community Development||Health Science||Jan||NCP*||Closed|
|Singapore||Enterprise Innovation & Entrepreneurial Practice||Business||Jan||NCP*||Closed|
|South Africa||SoHCA||Have you ever wanted to go on safari to Africa?||Multi-discipline||Jan||No||Closed|
|South Korea||Overseas IHRM Study Tour||Human Resource Management||Jan||NCP*||Closed|
|Taiwan||Immersion Experience and Internship program||Business||Jan||NCP*||Closed|
|United States||HACK||Silicon Valley Student Innovation Program||Multi-discipline||Jan||No||Closed|
|Vietnam||Urban and Regional Development||Multi-discipline||Jan||NCP*||Closed|
|Vietnam||Scholarship for Internship||Multi-discipline||Jan-Feb||NCP*||Closed|
Other Short Term Scholarships and Grants
|Worldwide||CIS||CISaustralia - study, intern, volunteer||Multi-discipline||Yes|
|Worldwide||ISA||ISA International Studies Abroad||Multi-discipline||Yes|
|Germany||DAAD||DAAD German Academic Exchange Service||Multi-discipline||Yes|
Indonesia: $3,000-$7,000 New Colombo Plan Grants
Western Sydney University is a member of the Australian Consortium for ‘In-Country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS). $3,000 - $7,000 New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants are available for eligible Western students. Find out more.
India: up to $7000 New Colombo Plan Grants
- Receive up to $7000 to study Information Technology units in India as part of your Western Sydney University degree from January to May 2019 at one of our partner universities in India.
- Complete an intensive study program that is equivalent of 30 cps in in the fields of Computer Science, Information and Communications Technology or Information Systems.
- Internship options are also available for interested students.
- Spend time in this incredible country exploring one of the best tourist destinations of the world as it holds diversity of culture, food, language and attractions!
- Find out more (PDF, 614.84 KB) (opens in a new window).
Singapore: Up to $7000 grant to study at TOP UNI IN ASIA
Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is a leading institution of higher education in the Asia-Pacific region. Ranked 13th in the world and 1st in Asia, NTU places you in an academically stimulating environment that is both culturally enriching and socially fulfilling. The many extracurricular activities offered on and off campus will also compliment your formal studies and help you build lasting friendships from the moment you set foot on campus. This is also the perfect ‘soft landing’ in the heart of a booming Asia-Pacific region and a great jumping-off point to explore the many cultures, languages and societies surrounding Singapore, which include China, Vietnam, Thailand and India. Find out more.
Nepal - Social Science International Placement (102174) Unit
The Social Sciences International Placement (102174) unit provides third year students enrolled in the B. Anthropology, B. Humanitarian and Development Studies, B. Social Science, B. Social Science (Advanced) or B. Tourism Management with the opportunity to apply skills and knowledge acquired during the first two years of their degree to a 'real world' setting. In 2017 students will spend 12-14 weeks in Nepal, where they will study at Kathmandu University and work with local NGO Clean Up Nepal on various community projects.
Thailand: $7000 New Colombo Plan Mobility Grant
Would you like to receive a $7000 New Colombo Plan (NCP) Mobility Grant to study at the Thammasat University in Thailand? Founded in 1934, Thammasat University has educated many prominent members of the Thai civil administration. Over the years, Thammasat students have been known for their activism and have played a major role in Thai politics. Most classrooms are air-conditioned. A large performing arts hall hosts plays, concerts, lectures and guest performers. A newly-built second campus, Rangsit, houses science-related faculties and modern facilities such as a hospital, dormitories, swimming pools, a soccer field, tennis and basketball courts. The Asian Games have equipped the campus with state-of-the-art sports facilities. Find out more.
Go Global Exchange Program
One of our cornerstone Go Global opportunities is the semester or year-long study opportunity, the Go Global Exchange Program. If you want to immerse yourself in another diverse culture (but getting the option to study units completely in English) then one or two sessions abroad as part of your Western degree could be perfect for you. Find out more.
- Global Firsts Program - A First-Year Learning Abroad Program
- Mid-Year Intensive Units at Overseas Universities (3 to 4 weeks)
- End-of-Year Intensive Units at Overseas Universities (3 to 4 weeks)
- International Work Experience
- School of Business
- School of Computing, Engineering, and Mathematics
- School of Science and Health
- School of Humanities and Communication Arts
- Social Sciences International Placement in Nepal