Global Firsts Program - Indonesia
Why wait to go overseas until later in your degree?
Head overseas in your First Year of study and study in the cultural centre of Indonesia this January 2020!
Western Sydney University is continuing its exciting Global Firsts, a First-Year Learning Abroad Program. Global Firsts opportunities are exciting, credit-bearing, short-term experiences. They are designed for first-year students who may never had studied abroad before to give them a taste of the experience and benefits that study abroad can bring to yourself, your academic studies and your post-graduation employment.
One of the January 2020 Global Firsts Program options is the Indonesian Language Short Course via ACICIS at Satya Wacana University in Salatiga, Indonesia. During the 3 week program, you will attend Indonesian Language classes and participate in a series of Indonesian culture seminars and excursions. No previous studies of Indonesian Language are required to participate.
Reasons to participate
- Designed for participation by undergraduate First-Year students.
- Grant funding from New Colombo Plan available for Australian citizens of AUD 3,000 per student covering more than 70% of your total costs.
- Studying abroad is research-proven to lead to positive career, academic and personal outcomes.
- Offered in the end of the year holiday break.
- Travel in a group and you will be accompanied by a Western Sydney University Go Global Ambassador.
- Credit-bearing into a Western Sydney University unit (10 Western credit points)*.
- Pre-departure, in-country and post-return support provided.
Program Details and Costs
|Program||Indonesian Language Short Course|
|Program Dates||Session 2: 24 January - 15 February 2020|
|Partner||The Australian Consortium for ‘In-Country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS)|
|Credit||10 Western credits *|
Travel Costs (Estimated)
ACICIS Tuition Fee (including tuition fees): AUD1,175
ACICIS Administration fee: AUD497
Homestay Accommodation: approximately #AUD300
Meals (Estimated)#: AUD 600
Flights (Estimated) **: AUD 1,400
Sub-total (Estimated)#: AUD 3,972
|NCP Global Firsts Grant||AUD 3,000|
|Total up-front cost to student (Estimated) #||AUD 972|
* Your Academic Course Advisor (ACA)/Director of Academic Program (DAP) will have the final approval on credit into your degree. This summer program is intended to provide elective-credit into your course as the Western Sydney University. Upon consultation with your ACA/DAP, if you do not have the space available within your course to take a free elective we regret that you will be unable to participate in this program.
** It is a mandatory requirement that all participants in the Global Firsts Program fly to and from the host city/location as a group on designated flights and dates ex-Sydney that will be determined and notified by the Go Global and Study Abroad team. This means that participants cannot undertake personal travel outside of the host city/location before, during or after the program.
# The total up-front cost to students is an estimate.
Timeline (subject to change)
|Applications open||2 September 2019|
|Applications close||7 October 2019|
|Candidates assessed||8 - 9 October 2019|
|Successful candidates offered a place||10 - 11 October 2019|
|Acceptances of offers required||by 15 October 2019|
|First briefing to students (webinar)||28 October 2019 (TBC)|
|Pre-departure briefing and workshop||20 November 2019 (TBC)|
|Expected departure from Australia (to be confirmed)||23 January 2020 (TBC)|
|Program starts and finishes||24 January - 15 February 2020|
|Expected return into Australia (to be confirmed)||15 February 2020 (TBC)|
|Post-return debriefing and workshop||Late February 2020|
- Candidates must be in or have just finished their first-year of undergraduate study at Western Sydney University and have NOT completed MORE than 80 Western credit points by the end of Spring Session 2019. Advanced Standing credit points may be taken off the total, subject to determination by the Manager, International Mobility.
- Australian citizens are eligible to apply and be considered for the New Colombo Plan (NCP) mobility grant funding of AUD 3,000 to support the program.
Number of participants
Western Sydney University Go Global and Study Abroad will allocate NCP mobility grant funding for up to a total of five (5) first-year student participants. Go Global and Study Abroad reserves the right to change the allocation of grants as necessary.
Learn more and apply now
- and a 300 word Statement of Purpose about why they would like to participate in the Global Firsts Program and why they feel they would benefit from studying abroad.
- a short questionnaire of their details;
- After the closing date, applications will be assessed by a panel and outcomes notified to candidates.
- Apply online (opens in a new window) today. Applications close on Monday 7 October 2019.
Candidates will be asked as part of the online application to complete:
Download the course outline (opens in a new window) for more information.