Vietnam Outbound Mobility Experience
$3000 New Colombo Plan Mobility Travel Grant Available
- Dates: June/July 2020
- Destination City: Ho Chi Minh City, Danang, Hoi An, Hanoi
- Eligible students can also receive OS-HELP up to $8,295
- Language of Instruction: English
- Project Partner:
- University of Economics, Ho Chi Minh City
- Australian Chamber of Commerce, Ho Chi Minh City
- Caravelle Hotel, Ho Chi Minh City
- Vietnam Swans AFL
- KOTO (social enterprise)
The Vietnam mobility experience sees students immerse themselves in industry while gaining a greater appreciation of the importance of the Indo-Pacific region to Australia through a sixteen-day (for credit) program. Research projects involving in class and field activities allow WSU students and Vietnamese students to participate in cultural exchange, often leading to the start of international networks. Mobility partners offer in-depth insight into international business and culture through seminars, behind the scenes meetings and tours with social enterprises, businesses and universities. The reciprocal relationship between countries is reinforced with students introducing the game of AFL football to Vietnamese students and donating sporting equipment to the host organisations.
Please refer to the itinerary for more info.
What will I Study?
Tour consists of a series of site visits to industry partners to inspect facilities and meet owners, managers and leaders in business as well as visiting the local university to undertake cultural exchanges with Vietnamese students
Will I receive academic recognition?
- Yes, this will form part of the units listed below:
- 200094 International Marketing
- 200561 Hospitality Applied Project
- 200751 Sport Applied Project
- 200989 Hospitality Places and Spaces
- 200626 International Business Strategy
Are there any cultural excursions?
The overseas experience will include visits to half day city tour of Ho Chi Minh city, half day bike ride around Hoi An, Cu Chi tunnel visit, Halong Bay (overnight stay on boat), and Hanoi city tour.
What type of accommodation will I be staying in?
Hotels (3 – 5 star) plus overnight on boat at Halong Bay
How much does it cost?
- The anticipated cost of this trip is approximately $4,600 (this cost may be offset by NCP subsidy and OS-HELP – see below)
- You pay for
- Personal experience during your free time
- Four lunches and 10 dinners with the average cost of a meal being $15
- Program Fee Changes: The School of Business reserves the right to vary program fees in the event of changes in exchange rates or price rises made by partners or other suppliers. If the cost of any service increases due to exchange rate fluctuations, price increases, tax changes or any other reason, participants are required to pay the increase when notified or may cancel a program which may result in cancellation fees.
- Program Cancellations: The School of Business reserves the right to cancel any program if there are insufficient registrants (in the rare case that minimum numbers may apply) or if the School of Business determines it is in the best interest of the applicants’ safety and quality of programming to cancel the program. The School of Business is not responsible for costs incurred by applicants preparing for a program. Should a program be cancelled for any reason, applicants will, where possible, be offered the option of positions in other School of Business opportunities, or a full refund on all fees paid.
Am I eligible for the New Colombo Plan Mobility Grant?
- The New Colombo Plan is a signature initiative of the Australian Government which aims to lift knowledge of the Indo-Pacific in Australia by supporting Australian undergraduates to study and undertake internships in the region.
- To be eligible you must be:
- an Australian citizen
- enrolled in an undergraduate degree at Western Sydney University
- be aged 18-28 years
- must not have received a New Colombo Plan Mobility grant on a previous occasion
- receive academic recognition for the experience
- Note: The Government requires that 70% of participants in the program must be between the ages of 18 and 28. Therefore 30% of participants can be 29 and over. If you are over the age of 28, you are still encouraged to submit an Expression of Interest
What is OS-HELP?
- You may be eligible for OS-HELP, a deferred HELP debt loan for undergraduate Australian citizens - loans of $4,000 or $8,295 are available. Academic Approval is required; have completed 80 credit points of study, and have 10 credit points remaining on return. For further information on how to apply see OS-HELP
Conditions of Participation
- The University of Western Sydney University is committed to demonstrating high standards of personal and professional conduct at all times. When participating in an overseas program, students must assume certain obligations to Western Sydney University (WS), the prospective country and other participants in a program. See Conditions of Participation in an Overseas Program.
- The university reserves the right to vary program fees in the event of changes in exchange rates or price rises made by partners or other suppliers. If the cost of any service increases due to exchange rate fluctuations, price increases, tax changes or any other reason, participants are required to pay the increase when notified or may cancel a program which may result in cancellation fees.
How to Apply - Deadline Sunday, 29 March 2020
This opportunity must count towards your degree requirements. You must be enrolled in one of the following units during 2020:
- 200561 Hospitality Management Applied Project (spring)
- 200571 Sport Management Applied Project (Spring)
It is anticipated that the Program will be highly competitive. To be considered for this opportunity, you will be required to answer the following questions and submit your Expression of Interest and CV by 29 March 2020.
- What is your motivation for participating in the program? (up to 50 words)
- What do you hope to achieve from participating in the program? (up to 50 words)
- How do you see the program contributing to your career? (up to 50 words)
Dr Tim Hall, email: email@example.com, phone 0414 017 369
Overseas Mobility Showcase – Want to learn more about the above study tour?
5:30pm | Wednesday, 25 March 2020
Level 9, 169 Macquarie Street, Parramatta City Campus
Register Today! http://bit.ly/2TMW35g
New Colombo Plan Government Reference 16586