Urban and Regional Development in Vietnam
$3000 New Colombo Plan Mobility Grant Available
- Destination: Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
- Dates: November to December (tbc)
- Cost: AUD$3,590 (4 weeks), not including airfares
- First five eligible students participating in this program will receive a $3000 New Colombo Plan (NCP) Mobility Grant.
- Eligible students can receive OS-HELP up to $8,149
Ho Chi Minh City is, in our humble opinion, the most exciting destination in Southeast Asia! Bursting with cafes, craft breweries, street food, markets and mopeds, the city itself is full of colour and energy. InternVietnam are offering an exciting internship of 4 weeks or more in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. InternVietnam will work with you to find a position in a host company that will meet your expectations and offer you a quality work experience relating to your studies in social science, community development, planning and tourism and more. From the moment you arrive, InternVietnam’s friendly staff will make sure you settle in whilst offering optional dinners and cultural activities during evenings and weekends to make the most of your time, shared with other students on place. Via an internship, you’ll have the opportunity to experience the nature of the busy, urban environment but with opportunities to travel further afield to rural pastures during evenings and weekends.
- From the finest of hotels to the cheapest of guesthouses, the classiest of restaurants to the tastiest of street stalls, the choicest of boutiques to the scrum of the markets, Saigon is a city of energy and discovery. Wander through alleys to incense-infused temples before negotiating chic designer malls beneath sleek 21st-century skyscrapers. The ghosts of the past live on in buildings that one generation ago witnessed a city in turmoil, but now the real beauty of the former Saigon’s urban collage is the seamless blending of these two worlds into one exciting mass. Ho Chi Minh City will provide endless opportunities to network with both young professionals and experienced company regional heads.
- Participants can opt to join the weekly Thursday dinner organised by InternVietnam Branch Staff and join weekend trips, activities and events so you won’t ever be stuck for things to outside of your internship.
- Internships must align with the applicant’s area of study. Internship places are limited and it may not be possible to place certain applicants in their specific sector of choice. Students are free to apply and discuss internship opportunities with no obligation to commit, but must ensure eligibility prior to confirming any program where course credit is required.
- You will stay at studio apartment with kitchenette & en-suite bathroom:
- Rent, bills & all management fees included
- A fully furnished apartment: cookware, bedding all included
- Cleaning service 2-3 times per week included
- All bills and Wi-Fi included
- Located a straightforward commute from your host company
- The Total cost of the program is AUD$3,590 for the initial four weeks. $895 for every additional four weeks. This amount covers the following:
- 4-week internship
- Pre-departure orientation;
- Visa application fees
- In-country orientation and support;
- Accommodation in studio apartment
- Health/travel insurance
- You will need to pay for:
- In-country transport
- Day to day living and personal expenses
- Any vaccinations/inoculations recommended by your doctor
- Any other costs incurred that aren’t specifically mentioned as being included in the program
Am I eligible for the New Colombo Plan Mobility Grant?
- The New Colombo Plan is a signature initiative of the Australian Government which aims to lift knowledge of the Indo-Pacific in Australia by supporting Australian undergraduates to study and undertake internships in the region.
- Each eligible student selected for this opportunity will be supported by a $3000 New Colombo Plan Mobility grant
- To be eligible you must be:
- an Australian citizen
- enrolled in an undergraduate degree at Western Sydney University
- be aged 18-28 years
- must not have received a New Colombo Plan Mobility grant on a previous occasion
- receive academic recognition for the experience
- Note: The Government requires that 70% of participants in the program must be between the ages of 18 and 28. Therefore 30% of participants can be 29 and over. If you are over the age of 28, you are still encouraged to submit an Expression of Interest
- You may be eligible for OS-HELP, a deferred HELP debt loan for undergraduate Australian citizens - loans up to $8,149 are available. Academic Approval is required; have completed 80 credit points of study, and have 10 credit points remaining on return. For further information on how to apply see OS-HELP
Conditions of Participation
- The University of Western Sydney University is committed to demonstrating high standards of personal and professional conduct at all times. When participating in an overseas program, students must assume certain obligations to Western Sydney University (WS), the prospective country, overseas provider, and other participants in a program. See Conditions of Participation in an Overseas Program.
- The university reserves the right to vary program fees in the event of changes in exchange rates or price rises made by partners or other suppliers. If the cost of any service increases due to exchange rate fluctuations, price increases, tax changes or any other reason, participants are required to pay the increase when notified or may cancel a program which may result in cancellation fees.
How to Apply - Deadline 03 October 2019
STEP 1: Register Your Interest
- To be considered for this opportunity:
- Submit an expression of interest to Western Sydney University by 03 October 2019
- register your interest to Intern Vietnam (opens in a new window) by 03 October 2019. All applicants will be notified of the outcome by Friday, 4 October.
- In the expression of interest, please mention that you are applying from WSU in the ‘Tell us More’ section, and InternVietnam will inform us of your application to assess your funding eligibility.
STEP 2: Apply for Academic Approval
- Discuss your preferred option with your Academic Course Adviser (ACA) or placement coordinator - visit your School website and see 'Contact'
- To receive recognition for your overseas experience, it is important that you seek advice from your Academic Course Advisor and apply for academic approval at least 3 months prior to commencement. Find out how to apply for Academic Approval below:
STEP 3: Apply for OS-HELP
- You may be eligible for OS-HELP, a deferred HELP debt loan for undergraduate Australian citizens - loans of $4,000 or $8,149 are available. Academic Approval is required; have completed 80 credit points of study, and have 10 credit points remaining on return.
- Note, depending on the program, some of the opportunities below provide a scholarship, tuition waivers, free or cheap accommodation etc.
STEP 4: Complete the 'Before I Go' Online Checklist
Complete the Online Checklist (opens in a new window) to ensure you have completed the important tasks before heading overseas. This includes applying for a Student Mobility Travel Grant and information about travel insurance.
- For any questions about the program in-country please contact:
- For Western Sydney University Processes
New Colombo Plan Government Reference 21911