Staff with Disabilities

Western Sydney University is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive employment environment for staff with disabilities.

Staff may have an existing disability (predating employment) or an acquired disability of a temporary or permanent nature. Staff with a disability who require some adjustment to their work should discuss this with their supervisor or seek advice from Equity and Diversity.

Staff with disabilities have the right to:

  • apply for and be fairly considered for jobs on the basis of merit
  • equal opportunity for promotion and career development
  • equitable access to the full range of University employment conditions and the full range of University services
  • reasonable workplace accommodations where their disability does not prevent them fulfilling the inherent requirements of the job.

Western Sydney University has the following policies, services and resources to assist staff with disabilities:

  • Disability Policy 
  • Accessibility Action Plan 2018 - 2020 (Opens in a new window)
  • a central Staff Workplace Adjustment Fund which provides funding for services and equipment for staff with Reasonable Adjustment Plans
  • accessible parking for staff, students and visitors with disabilities
  • a range of facilities on campus including stair lifts, ramps and accessible toilets. The location of these facilities is marked on the campus maps.

Students with Disabilities

The Disability Service Unit of Student Support Services provides advice and support services to students with disabilities.

The Disability Service also provides advice to teaching staff who work with students with disabilities. (Requires staff login).

National Disability Coordination Officer Program (NDCO)

Western Sydney University is funded by the Australian Government to establish and run the National Disability Coordination Officer Program in two Western Sydney regions, Western Sydney and South Western Sydney.

The NDCO program works to:

  • Establish better links between schools, universities, TAFEs, training providers and disability services providers so that they can work together to provide the best possible assistance for people with a disability.
  • Improve transitions for people with a disability from their school or community into post-school education, training and subsequent employment
  • Increase participation by people with a disability in higher education, vocational education and training and employment

For more information on the program, please visit the NDCO Regions website (opens in a new window).

External Sites

^ Back to top