- Division of Infrastructure and Commercial
- - Commitment
- - Environmental & Institutional Context
- - Resilience & Climate Change
- - Sustainable Energy
- - Water Cycle Management
- - Green Star Buildings & Precincts
- - Waste & the Circular Economy
- - Biodiversity Conservation
- - Biosecurity & Environmental Health
- - Regenerative Agriculture
- - Transportation & Travel
- - Social & Corporate Responsibility
- Campus and Accessibility Maps
- Carbon Neutrality
- Environmental Performance
- EV Charging Stations
- Hawkesbury Farm
- Living Labs
- Plans, Publications & Reports
Sustainability is a core expectation of contemporary organisations, reflecting interacting social, economic and environmental dimensions (triple bottom line), and related organisational responsibilities and expectations.
The Environmental Sustainability Action Plan reflects alignment with strategies, commitments, and environmental management principles and consistency with Western’s risk management and legal compliance frameworks.
As a signatory to the Talloires Declaration (opens in a new window) and to the SDSN Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Initiative (opens in a new window) committing to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (opens in a new window) (SDGs), Western has a clear obligation to plan and implement actions for a more sustainable future, and a clear role of leadership in the future sustainability of Western Sydney.
In becoming an educational signatory to the SDSN Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Initiative (opens in a new window), the University has committed to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Western will:
- Recognise the enormous social, economic and environmental challenges facing the world
- Recognise that future development must take place in a way that is socially, economically and environmentally sustainable
- Recognise that the SDGs establish an agenda for the achievement of sustainable development by 2030
- Stress the vitally important role that universities can play in achieving a sustainable future through teaching, research and operations.
- Support and promote the principles of the Sustainable Development Goals
- Undertake research that provides solutions to sustainable development challenges
- Provide the educational opportunity for our students to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development
- Contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals by ensuring our campuses and major programs are environmentally sustainable and socially inclusive, and
- Report on our activities in support of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Environmental Sustainability Action Plan supports Western’s strategic plans, including the Sustaining Success 2021-2026 Strategic Plan (opens in a new window), with Sustainability as a key principle alongside Equity, Transformation and Connectedness, and our values of Boldness, Fairness, Integrity and Excellence.
Our decadal strategy, Sustainability and Resilience 2030 (opens in a new window), which outlines our collective aspiration to nine interconnected priority statements regarding: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Knowledges, Regenerative Systems, Resilient Cities, Climate Action, Partnerships, Justice, Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture, Ethical Artificial Intelligence, and Economic Transitions.
The Plan has an associated risk register, and compliance requirements can be found in Western’s Compliance Program (PDF, 792.27 KB) (opens in a new window).