Summer Scholarships Program
The Summer Scholarships program gives undergraduate students the opportunity to learn more about university research by providing them with a placement in a formal research environment supervised by leading Western Sydney University academics. Students gain experience in carrying out a research project and presenting their findings via a written report and seminar presentation.
The University offers a range of project choices in various Schools and Institutes across a number of research fields that change each year.
Applications for 2022/2023 open on 12 September 2022 and close on 16 October 2022.
This initiative is a joint venture of the Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research, Enterprise and International) and Jobs on Campus (opens in a new window)
The projects available for students to apply for are listed by School or Institute. Students can nominate up to three projects of interest. Whilst every effort is made to accommodate project preferences, the selection committee has final determination over the allocation of projects.
For further information on the projects available from each School and Institute for the 2022/2023 program, please visit Jobs on Campus (opens in a new window)
A scholarship is offered to all students whose application is successful. Each scholarship is valued at $3,500. Students receive the scholarship in three instalments over the course of the program.
Scholarships are available to students who are currently enrolled at Western Sydney University and are awarded on a competitive basis. Successful students are required to present the results of their research by seminar and by submitting a research report on completion of their project.
To be eligible for the Summer Scholarships program you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be an enrolled undergraduate student at Western Sydney University
- In your second year or up to mid-year of your third year of a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent). First year students can also apply but your application must be supported by a Western Sydney University academic
- You must be a member of the Jobs on Campus Applicant Pool. Not a member? Register now via Jobs on Campus (opens in a new window)
- Available to participate for the entire duration of the program (29 November 2022 to 14 February 2022) and attend Orientation (29 November 2022) with final presentation and research report completed by 14 February 2022
- You should have a genuine interest in taking part in further University research and a desire to develop research skills and techniques
- You must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold an appropriate visa
Note: As part of the application process you are required to meet with at least the main supervisor of each project included in your application.
How to apply
Step 1: Review the research project briefs (opens in a new window) and select up to three project preferences.
Step 2: Complete a Meeting with Supervisor Confirmation Form (DOCX, 37.84 KB) (opens in a new window) for each project preference.
Step 3: Make contact and meet with supervisors for ALL three of your project preferences. Supervisor contact details are listed in the project brief.
Step 4: Prepare your responses to the essential criteria and your resume.
Step 5: Register for the Jobs on Campus Applicant Pool if you're not already a member.
Step 6: Complete the online application form on CareerHub (opens in a new window) (login required).
Applications close: 16 October 2022
Online application advice
Jobs on Campus Coordinator
02 4736 0877
General program advice
Research Administration Coordinator
Office of Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice President (REI)
02 9678 7231
Undergraduate Summer Research Scholarship Guidelines 2022 - 2023 (PDF, 543.18 KB) (opens in a new window)
2022 Meeting with Supervisor Confirmation Form (DOCX, 37.84 KB) (opens in a new window)