- Research and Innovation Plan (2018 - 2020)
- Research Themes
- Research Theme Champions
- Strategic Research Initiatives
- Research Week
- Research Impact Competition
- Research Excellence Awards
- Master of Research
- Summer Scholarships Program
- Centralised Research Facilities
- Contact us
Research at Western Sydney University spans four interdisciplinary themes aligned with internationally recognised strengths, National Research Priorities and the future of Western Sydney. The themes are complementary, intersecting, and orientate our research to achieve impact for our partners. Research in each theme is future-focused and harnesses technologies to drive progressive outcomes.
The research themes run through our schools and institutes, activating our research in community and industry relevant contexts and the broader Western Sydney region. As platform infrastructure investments are made and governments plan for new urban futures, Western Sydney will play a critical role in the wider city, the state and the nation. The University's research makes an evidence-based and impactful contribution to civic discourse in this crucial region.
Our research themes are:
- Education and Work: Access, Equity and Pathways
- Environment and Sustainability: Climate, Agriculture and Liveability
- Health and Wellbeing: Translation, Integration and Innovation
- Urban Living Futures and Society: People, Culture, Economy and the Built Environment
Research Theme Champions
The Research Theme Champions initiative was established in 2016 by appointing Western Sydney University academics tasked with creating flexible team structures for collaborative research; developing an overarching vision for their research theme connected to society’s grand challenges; increasing research output and impact in complex and interdisciplinary research areas; mapping of research focus in the University; servicing those areas of research strengths; and, increasing awareness of, capacity within, and alignment with the designated University research themes. Two theme champions have been appointed for each research theme.
Education and Work
Environment and Sustainability
Health and Wellbeing
Urban Living Futures and Society
- Professor Nicky Morrison
- Associate Professor Anna Cristina Pertierra
Research Theme Fellows
Research Theme Fellows support the research programs initiated by the Theme Champions. One fellow has been appointed for each theme.