How to apply for a Concession Opal card

To keep us all safe, Student Services (Counselling, Disability, Welfare Services and Student Central) will be moving to online support and services - phone, email and chat contact details remain the same.

To travel on most NSW public transport (buses, trains, ferries, light rail) you will need an Opal travel card.

As a student with Western Sydney University, you may be eligible for a concession Opal card, which will allow you to travel more cheaply.

Make sure you're eligible

Before you start the process of applying for a Concessional Opal card (opens in a new window), make sure you're eligible:

  • You're an Australian citizen (or permanent resident of Australia)
  • You live in NSW
  • You're a full time student (enrolled in at least 25 credit points)
  • Online/external students: only if you are enrolled in at least 20 credit points of face to face/on campus units
  • Students with a disability who are only able to study part time and/or on an external basis
  • Western Sydney University students undertaking cross institutional studies (if your total study load is equivalent to a full time load (determined by Western Sydney U)
  • International students who receive an Australian Government scholarship, including the Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships, Australian Awards scholarships and the International Postgraduate Research Scholarships

If you are not on the list above, you may still be eligible for a travel concession (opens in a new window).

Get your Concession Opal card

Follow the steps below to apply for your Opal card:

  1. If you are a cross-institutional student or part time student with a disability you first need to complete a manual process described below.
  2. Give consent to the University through My Student Records (MySR) (opens in a new window)
  3. Apply online (opens in a new window) or over the phone  - 13 67 25 (13 OPAL) - with Opal.

International students, cross-institutional students and part time students with a disability only

International students on an Australian Government scholarship 

Complete the 'Privacy Consent for Concession Opal card (International students)' form (PDF, 58.25 KB)' (opens in a new window) and submit it to Student Central.

Once your form has been processed, Student Central will update your student record and you can continue with the instructions below (starting at 'Apply for your Concession Opal card').

Students undertaking cross-institutional studies
Take proof of enrolment at the other University (e.g. statement of account) to Student Central.

A Student Central Officer will verify that you are enrolled in a full time load and update your student record. You can then continue with the instructions below.

Part-time students with a disability
Complete the 'Disability Declaration for Concession Opal card' form (available on the Disability webpage (opens in a new window) or from the Disability Service).

Once your form has been processed, Student Central will update your student record and you can continue with the instructions below.

Privacy and consent (all eligible students)

Before you can apply for a Concession Opal card, you need to have given consent for Western Sydney University to provide your details to Transport for NSW.

You may have already done this when you enrolled. If you did not, go to My Student Records (MySR) (opens in a new window)  Go into Enrol / Government Forms / Opal Travel Concession and select the 'Consent' option.

Apply for your Concession Opal card (all eligible students)

Once you've given consent (as per the instructions above) you will need to wait 48 hours and then apply for your Concession Opal card either on the Opal website (opens in a new window) or over the phone on 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).

When completing the application, ensure that you enter your First name, Last name and Date of Birth exactly as they  appear on your Western Sydney Student ID card.

We recommend using your student email address.

In the Entitlement Type field, select 'Western Sydney University' (including if you are a College student).

Need help?

If you need help with the consent process or to clarify the Western Sydney University requirements, please contact Student Central at or on the Student Central Infoline 1300 668 370.

If you need help with the process on the Opal website, please call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).