Results FAQs

GPA Neutral Scheme – COVID-19

The University understands that COVID-19 has affected many students and responded by implementing a GPA Neutral Scheme for teaching sessions that commenced from March 2020 up until the end of November 2020, including the following teaching sessions; Quarter 2, Term 1, Autumn, 1H, Trimester 1, Quarter 3, Term 2, Spring, 2H, Quarter 4, Trimester 2 and Trimester 3.

Can I withdraw after census without affecting my GPA?

If you wish to withdraw from a unit you can do so at any time before the end of session. On your academic transcript it will be recorded that you withdrew without academic penalty and your GPA will not be affected. (Please note that fees and student contributions for the unit will still apply, unless you meet the requirements to qualify for a refund or remittance of debt.)

What if I have passed and believe my performance has been impacted by COVID-19?

If you complete the current teaching session, and attempt all of your mandatory assessments, you will have a number of options. Once you receive your final grades, you may choose to:

  • Keep the passing grade that you have been awarded, with no change. Your passing grade will be recorded on your academic transcript, and will count towards your Grade Point Average (GPA).
  • Convert your grade to a non-graded pass. Your academic transcript will show that you have successfully completed the unit, but the grade will not count towards your GPA. There is no application fee for this option.

You can also apply for a standard Review of Grade if you don’t believe your grade accurately reflects your performance against the unit criteria.

WSU Online students:  Please contact your Unit Coordinator directly to request a Review of Grade.

If your grade is a H you should not apply for a non-graded pass, as this would negatively impact your GPA. For more information on your GPA and how it is calculated please see the Graduation Policy Section 3 Part B.

What happens if I receive a Fail grade?

  • In the scenario that you attempt all of your assessments and fail, the fail grade will be converted to a ‘withdrawal without academic penalty’ and will not count towards your GPA.
  • Fail grades will be converted to ‘withdrawal without academic penalty’ after the final date to submit a Review of Grade for that session.

Please note that if you do not attempt all assessments; your grade is a Practicum Fail (PF) grade; or your fail grade is a an outcome of Misconduct, your fail grade will not be automatically converted to a withdrawal without academic penalty. You will need to make an application to withdraw without academic penalty and meet the relevant criteria for this grade to be amended.

If you have any specific academic challenges or concerns, please reach out to your Unit Coordinators or Academic Course Advisors.

What if I am considering Honours or another higher degree pathway?

If you are considering studying in an Honours course or further study in a higher degree you should seek academic advice before applying for a non-graded pass through the GPA Neutral scheme.

You can seek academic advice by contacting your Academic Course Advisor or the relevant contact at your School. To contact your School, visit the Schools webpage

My fail grades were converted to withdrawn, will I get a refund?

Students who have their failed units withdrawn will still be liable financially for those units. If you had extenuating circumstances that contributed to your poor performance you can apply for a remission of fees with supporting evidence. Visit the Withdrawing Without Academic Penalty webpage for more information on this process.

Results questions

How will I receive my results?

Results are sent by email and are also available in My Student Records (MySR).(opens in a new window)

When will I receive my results?

Results are usually released one to two weeks after the final exams for the session.

You can check for upcoming results release dates at

Why can't I see my results?

Please check throughout the day as you may not receive your results email until the afternoon/evening. If you have an encumbrance on your student record, you will not see your results in your email or in MySR.

If an encumbrance was placed on your record, an email notification would have automatically been sent to your Western Sydney University student email account which includes instruction on how to have the encumbrance lifted.

Results for previous study sessions will not be displayed in your email or on your results page in MySR. To see previous session's results in MySR go to:

  • Course and Unit details (listed under the 'Course Details' heading)
  • Click on 'show details' under the course code you want to see results for
  • Then click on the units for the course

I didn't receive my results email. What does this mean?

If you didn't receive your results email, there may have been a technical problem with the system. Continue to monitor your emails for advice, and your results should also be available in MySR.

I got an "I", "J" or "N" grade. What does that mean?

I = Incomplete (assessment tasks incomplete due to illness or misadventure)
J = Deferred exam (due to illness or misadventure, with formal approval granted for the student to sit an alternative to the formal scheduled exam)
N = Result pending (grade still to be finalised)

For a full list of grades, please view the Results webpage.

I can't see my results but can see my credit points have changed yet my GPA hasn't?

You will need to wait for your results to be released. You can check for upcoming results release dates at

If I am not happy with my results, what can I do?

Firstly speak to your Unit Coordinator. If you are unable to resolve the matter you can apply for a Review of Grade. All Review of Grade applications are made through eForms.

You should read the Review of Grade information before submitting your application.

Why has my GPA dropped?

GPAs are calculated over the duration of your enrolment involving a specific calculation. This calculation uses the number of units, grades achieved and unit credit points. For example, if you have done poorly in a unit carrying more than 10 credit points, it will have a greater impact on your GPA than a unit of only 10 credit points.

How is my GPA calculated?

GPA = the sum of (credit points for the same specific unit x grade points for the specific unit)/total number of credit points attempted.

Please view the Graduation Policy for more GPA information.

I am experiencing difficulties accessing my results on MySR

Please check your student email account to view your results email or refresh MySR. If your results are not displaying MySR may be experiencing a temporary load issue.

The most common problem students have is that pop-up blockers are preventing MySR from working properly - you might click on MySR and nothing happens. You will find instructions for disabling many common pop-up blockers on the MySR help page.

You may not be able to see your results if you have an encumbrance on your record.

If you have any other issues when using MySR, call the Student Central Infoline on 1300 668 370.

I have failed one (or more) units. Can I reenrol? How do I reenrol?

Provided you have not failed a progression rule, you will be able to reenrol if the unit is offered in the next session. You must meet any pre-requisites and/or co-requisites needed for the unit.

If you are eligible to reenrol, please do so through MySR. However, you should meet with your Director of Academic Program or Academic Course Advisor to discuss your course progression and seek advice regarding your studies. If you are required or choose to repeat a unit that you have have already studied, the fee attached to that unit will be reapplied and you will need to pay as you normally would with any unit of study even if you paid it when you first studied that unit.

Your grades will carefully be checked against all progression rules after the results release date. If you do not meet progression rules or are 'at risk' you will receive an email to your student email account with further instructions in the days following results release. Progression emails will be sent following results release.

For more information go to the Progression webpage.

The University runs programs and courses to develop students' academic literacy, mathematics and study skills which are listed on the Workshops webpage.

I have already enrolled for next session, however one of my units now says INVALID. What does that mean?

  • You have most likely failed a pre-requisite or co-requisite that is required to be completed before enrolment in this unit, or
  • You may have already achieved or have exceeded the maximum allowable credit points at level Z (unspecified advanced standing), or levels 1 and/or 2.

All the units I am enrolled in for the next session have been cancelled or discontinued. Why?

You may have failed a progression rule and you should monitor your student email for advice on your progression. Progression emails will be sent in the days following results release.

If you still have questions please call the Student Central Infoline on 1300 668 370.

I have received a progression email. What do I do now?

Your progression email will state whether you are 'At Risk', on 'Conditional Enrolment' or if you have been 'Excluded'. The email also contains detailed instructions regarding the next steps to take.

For more information refer to the Progression webpage.

What do I need to do to complete my course?

Course Progress is the term we use to refer to the things you need to do to complete your course (degree) at Western Sydney University. Depending on which course you're studying, you will need to meet some or all of the following requirements:

  • A set number of credit points
  • A specific unit or units
  • A particular specialisation or specialisations
  • Special requirements
  • Professional accreditation

Log in to MySR,(opens in a new window) click on 'Check My Course Progress' under 'Course Details' in the left hand menu.

For more information refer to the Check My Course Progress How to Guide.