Once you submit the form correctly, you will receive an automatic email confirming your submission. This email will include some helpful links to support services.
Western Sydney University is committed to supporting our students to ensure they can continue learning during the current pandemic.
Western Sydney University has allocated a fixed pool of funding to allow us to provide financial support to assist with basic living expenses for local students who are facing serious financial distress as a result of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic.
Local students are eligible to apply for COVID-19 Student Assistance Support if they can show that their basic living needs and their continued study may be at risk due to the financial impact of the pandemic.
For eligible students, financial support is primarily in the form of food and grocery support. There is also a capped pool of funds available for a limited number of financial support payments for students experiencing extreme financial distress.
This financial support is not income support and will not be provided to pay for ongoing expenses. This is designed as temporary support only.
This financial support is designed to assist with basic living expenses but mainly with food and other essential groceries.
To be eligible for COVID-19 Student Assistance Support, local students must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- - be enrolled in at least one unit at Western Sydney University, or studying a higher degree research program;
- - have financial difficulties due to the COVID-19 situation; and
- - if necessary, be willing to attend a phone or Zoom appointment with a Western Sydney University advisor to discuss their application
Local students may be eligible for an Australian Government payment. To find out about payments and eligibility please visit the Services Australia Payments and Services During Coronavirus website (opens in a new window)
Local students wishing to apply for financial support must complete this online COVID-19 Student Assistance Support Application form in full and attach scanned documentary evidence with their request.
Students should provide as much evidence as possible to support what is said in their application.
After review of the Application, an advisor from Western Sydney University may set up an appointment (Zoom or phone) with the student to discuss the application.
Western Sydney University will determine the amount of financial assistance (if any) to be provided. Applications will be assessed on a needs-basis at the time of application. The decision will be communicated to the student via their Western Sydney University student email account. The decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Western Sydney University aims to communicate the outcome of the financial support application within 10 WORKING DAYS.
Western Sydney University is not liable for the consequences or any loss or damage that may ensue if financial support is not able to be made within this timeframe or from errors during processing.
To be considered for financial assistance you must provide the following:
- - Completed COVID-19 Assistance Support Application form (including a complete and accurate budget with information about your income and expenses)
- - Current bank transaction statement from 1 January 2021 to date of this application for ALL accounts belonging to the student and in the student's own name (in PDF form). Please note to an assessor may request bank statements prior to 1 January 2021 to enable a thorough assessment of your application.
- - Students are responsible for providing accurate documentary evidence with their request for COVID-19 Student Assistance Support. Applications without the required supporting documentation will not be considered.
- - STUDENTS SHOULD TAKE THEIR TIME PREPARING THEIR APPLICATION AND MAKE SURE AS MUCH DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE AS POSSIBLE IS PROVIDED AND THAT ALL ATTACHMENTS CAN BE OPENED.
- - Applications in which statements made by the student are supported by evidence have the best chance of receiving financial support.
Distribution of Financial Support
The University has engaged DiviPay to distribute financial support to eligible students. Should the University decide to support a student with food or housing, the University will share your Student ID, student email address and your name with DiviPay.
DiviPay will send you a sign on email to verify your details and ask you to provide some documentation. After you complete the sign on process, you will receive a virtual card with an allocated sum of money to support your food and/or housing needs. In the Declaration Section of the application form, if you do not accept the Privacy Disclosure and Consent (PDF, 341.28 KB) (opens in a new window), you must contact the Student Assistance Fund at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternative payment arrangements.
* Student Name
* Student ID
* Student Email Address
(you must enter your Western student email address i.e. @student.westernsydney.edu.au)
* Local Student
Impact of COVID-19
* How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your PAID EMPLOYMENT?
(maximum 300 words)
|* Has your employment been terminated due to COVID-19?|
|* Have you been stood down?|
|* Will you be re-employed once the crisis/lockdown is over?|
|* Have you applied for income support from the government?|
|* Are you currently receiving income support from the government?|
* How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your HOUSING?
(maximum 300 words)
How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your HEALTH/PERSONAL LIFE?
(maximum 300 words)
* Living Arrangements: What are your current living arrangements?
Please choose one
If 'Other', please complete
Apart from the COVID-19 situation, is there anything else impacting on your studies or your financial situation (have children or partner, refugee, have carer responsibilities, domestic violence etc.)?
(maximum 300 words)
Extreme Financial Distress
If you believe you are experiencing extreme financial distress due to the COVID-19 situation, please provide details as to why you require access to the financial assistance support payments and what your needs are beyond basic food and grocery support.
(maximum 300 words)
Please complete the following information about your current income and expenditure every two weeks (if the amount is zero dollars please put 0):
(Employment, Centrelink payments, scholarship, allowance from parents, partner’s income, child support, other income)
Please note: If you are receiving any form of Government income support, you will not be eligible for this financial assistance.
* Rent / Board / Mortgage
* Mobile / Internet
* Electricity / Gas / Water
(Opal Card, petrol)
* Loan Payments
(including credit cards, loans, Afterpay, Zip Pay, Store Cards)
* Childcare Costs
* Medical Expenses
(health, home, contents, car)
* Other Living Expenses
Any document attached must be:
- - in PDF form
- - no larger than 4 MB.
At a minimum you should attach:
- * MANDATORY: Bank statements from 1 January 2021 to the date of application for ALL accounts in your name. Please note: Your application cannot be assessed without these bank statements.
- - Work-related documentation e.g. payslips – please provide 3 most recent payslips, a letter from your employer saying there is no more work for you
- - Any other supporting documentation e.g. emails to and from a real estate agent showing that you have tried to have your rent reduced
(Uploaded file must be a PDF and no larger than 4 MB)
|During assessment of your application the Assessor may ask you to provide additional information, which may include bank statements prior to 1 January 2021 You will be required to submit the additional information via email. Assessment of your application will not continue until you provide all additional information requested.|
* I have read and understood the Local Students COVID-19 Student Assistance Support eligibility and application process
* I acknowledge and confirm that the information on this form including supporting documents attached are true and correct to the best of my knowledge as at the date of submission
* I understand that any financial assistance provided to me is short-term only and is dependent on the availability of funds. Submitting an application or recommendation for financial assistance by Western Sydney University does not guarantee that financial assistance will be granted
* I understand that any financial assistance I receive will be distributed by a third party (DiviPay) and that the University will share with the third party my; Student ID #, student email address and name. I acknowledge that I must advise email@example.com should I wish to discuss alternative payment arrangements
I consent to the University Student Financial Assistance Privacy Disclosure and Consent (PDF, 341.28 KB) (opens in a new window). I understand if I do not consent to the disclosure statement I will have the opportunity to seek alternative arrangement and will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* I understand that any personal or health information shared will be treated as confidential and in a way which complies with the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 and/or the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW), as well as the Western Sydney University policies relating to privacy. I am aware that any information I provide and notes taken in relation to the financial support I receive through the Local Students COVID-19 Student Assistance Support initiative will be stored in a secure case management system which may be accessed by the Assessment Team for this initiative and the Student Wellbeing Team (student support provided by Counselling, Disability and Welfare services)
* I understand that the University may disclose my personal or health information without my consent if:
- - A court issues a subpoena
- - There is reasonable belief that there is a serious and imminent threat to my life or the life of another person
- - A law, or serious criminal activity, requires mandatory disclosure of information
* I have a right to make a formal complaint if I am dissatisfied with the way in which my personal or health information is collected, stored, used or disclosed
* I give permission for Western Sydney University to contact me in the future to seek feedback on the effectiveness and impact of any financial support provided