- Applying to study
- New to Uni
- Important dates
- Fees and costs
- Services and facilities
- Online systems
- Exams and results
- Semi Permanent Unlimited Live
- Western Digital Story Telling Project
Changes to fees for New Zealand Citizens
The Australian Government has passed new legislation that changes the way some New Zealand citizens, who hold a Special Category Visa (SCV), studying in Australia will pay their fees.
What are the changes?
New Zealand citizens, who meet the eligibility criteria, will be eligible for a HECS discount or to defer your tuition fees via a HECS- or FEE-HELP loan.
This will also mean, if eligible, you'll be able to defer your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) via SA-HELP.
What are the eligibility criteria?
Just being a New Zealand citizen or holding an SCV will not automatically entitle you to the changes.
You must meet all the following criteria:
- first entered Australia as a dependent child aged under 18 years of age;
- have been ordinarily resident in Australia for the previous 10 years (that is, you have been physically present in Australia for at least eight out of the past 10 years) and 18 months out of the last two years at the time of application for the loan; and
- are otherwise eligible for the loan.
Detailed information about the legislation change and eligibility criteria is also available on the Government's Study Assist website (opens in a new window).
I think I'm eligible, what do I do?
You need to provide to us an 'International Movements Record' to prove you meet the residency and age requirements.
You can download the application form to get this from the Department for Immigration and Border Control's website (opens in a new window). This application form needs to be lodged with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
You will also need to provide proof of your New Zealand citizenship if you haven't done so already.
If you have any questions about these changes or need help with the process, please contact Student Central:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1300 668 370