Glossary of terms


Academic Course Advisor An academic staff member who performs specific tasks that contribute towards the delivery and development of a program. An Academic Course Advisor will provide advice and information to students as required, on matters including course progression, student leave and timetabling.

Academic credit
See Advanced Standing

Accommodation There is a range of on campus accommodation choices for students. These range from residential halls to townhouses, cottages and units/apartments.

» Western Sydney University Village

Admission is the process of applying to study at Western Sydney University. The process includes applying and accepting an offer to study. After accepting an offer to study, students must complete the relevant instructions on the How do I enrol page (opens in a new window).

Advanced Standing
The credit given to students for previous study or experience relevant to their course. It is awarded as credit points. On average 10 credit points is equivalent to one unit of study.

See Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement

Allocate+ (opens in a new window)
The system used by students to register their preferred learning activities, lectures, tutorials etc. Allocate+ sorts all preferences together and places students into their activities. See also Tutorial Registration.

Once students have graduated they may want to stay in touch with classmates. The Alumni association provides networking opportunities and a range of benefits for graduates.

Any process designed to test a student's learning, including assignments and essays, in class tests and exams.

Associate Dean
A senior academic staff member in a School who has overall responsibility for coordination of the courses and units run by that School.

ATAR See Australian Tertiary Admission Rank

Australian Tax Office.

At Risk
An outcome for a student who shows an early indication of unsatisfactory academic performance.

Auditing a unit
Attendance in a unit informally (on a non credit basis). A student should always obtain the permission of the academic staff member responsible for the unit beforehand.

Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS)
A statement that is issued to graduates. The statement will be in addition to your testamur. The graduation statement will include information about your award, academic results, course details, special awards or achievements and the Australian Higher Education system.

Australian Tertiary Admission Rank The ATAR replaced the UAI in June 2009. The ATAR is the ranking that indicates a student's performance in their year 12 certificate (all states except Queensland). It is used to assess a student's eligibility for study at universities and other tertiary institutions. More information about the ATAR can be found at the Universities Admission Centre (UAC) website (opens in a new window).

The qualification given to a student after they have completed all the requirements of their course.

^ Back to top

Bookshops See The University store

^ Back to top

The Western Sydney University is a multi-campus university. That means that different courses and classes take place in different locations. We have six teaching campuses. A map of each campus is available online.

Campus Connection
Keep in touch with what's happening across Western with our Services and Facilities (opens in a new window). Some services require your WesternAccount login details.

CAF See Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form

See Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice

A person (student) admitted to a course and enrolled at the University until such time as that person has completed, is withdrawn from, been excluded from, or is determined to have abandoned the course in which they are enrolled.

Careers offers programs and services that connect students and recent graduates with employers. These services include workshops, careers markets and more.

See Commonwealth Learning Scholarships

See Commonwealth Learning Scholarships

Census date
The date by which tuition fees and student contributions must be paid. Eligible students can choose to defer payment of their fees via a HELP loan, but applications for deferment of tuition fees or student contributions and the provision of their Tax File Number must be made on or before the census date.

There is a multifaith chaplaincy at the University, which offers support to all students and staff. They also encourage work for social justice and connecting with the university community and community at large. There are also multifaith prayer and meditation rooms available for use.

See Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number

The University has childcare centres that have places for the children of staff and students. University childcare centres are located on all six campuses, Bankstown, Campbelltown, Hawkesbury, Nirimba Precinct (Blacktown), Parramatta and Penrith (Kingswood).

Clinic See UniClinic

See Commonwealth Learning Scholarships

Combined degree program
An approved program of study made up of two normally separate courses. Students enrolled in combined degree programs receive one award on completion of their course requirements. As students are specifically enrolled in the combined degree, it is not possible to graduate from either part separately.

Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship (CAS)
See Commonwealth Learning Scholarships

Commonwealth Assistance Form See Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form
Also see Commonwealth Supported Students

Commonwealth Assistance Notice See Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice

Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship (CECS)
See Commonwealth Learning Scholarships

Commonwealth Grants Scheme (CGS)
The Australian government provides a contribution towards the costs of University places each year via the Commonwealth Grants Scheme. These places are known as Commonwealth supported places, with students paying the remaining fee amount, known as their Student Contribution. Please refer to the Department of Education and Training website (opens in a new window) for more information.

Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)
All Commonwealth supported students and students receiving HELP loan assistance must have a CHESSN. These students will be allocated a unique CHESSN, which will stay with them throughout their academic study, allowing their eligibility for Commonwealth assistance to be facilitated and monitored. Students will be advised of their CHESSN via their Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice (eCAN).

Commonwealth Learning Scholarships (CLS) Program
The purpose of the Commonwealth Learning Scholarships (CLS) Program is to facilitate choice in higher education and to increase the participation of students from low socio-economic backgrounds in higher education. Funding of a specified number of scholarships for students enrolled at Western Sydney University is provided by DIICCSRTE website (opens in a new window) and The University administers and selects the recipients of the Western Sydney University CLS scholarships. There are two types of CLS; Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarships (CAS) and Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarships (CECS).

Commonwealth Supported Place
The Australian Government provides The University with Commonwealth Supported places. For each of these places, the Australian Government provides The University with a financial contribution towards the costs of study. Each student holding a Commonwealth Supported place must then pay the remainder of their study costs via their Student Contribution.

Commonwealth Supported Students
As a Commonwealth Supported Student the Australian Government contributes to the cost of your fees and you are required to pay the remainder, which is called your Student Contribution. Your Student Contribution depends on the discipline area of each of your units. Discipline areas are divided into different Student Contribution Bands.

Compulsory unit
A unit of study that must be completed to meet the requirements of a course. This may be separate from your core units.

Computer labs
A number of general purpose computer labs are available to all students on every campus.

Conditional enrolment
A limitation placed on the enrolment of a student due to failure to pay fees or unsatisfactory academic performance.

Conditional offer
A Conditional Offer letter may be made when an applicant has applied for a formal course of study at Western Sydney University and has not met the academic and English requirement for admission.

Core unit
A unit of study you must complete as part of your course. Courses often have a number of core units that are referred to as a 'core program'. Core units/programs are in addition to any majors, sub-majors or key programs you are required to complete in your course.

A unit which must be undertaken before or in the same teaching session as another designated unit. A pass in the 'designated unit', however is not contingent upon a pass in the corequisite unit.

Counselling Service
Personal counselling is available to students. Students can talk about areas of difficulty, conflict or crisis in their lives. The service is free and confidential. The Counselling Service also offers free study and life skills workshops to students.

A program of study undertaken at the University leading to the award of a degree, diploma or certificate.

Course completion
Course completion is the status applied to your student record when you have met all the requirements of your course and are eligible to graduate.

Course Coordinator
See Director of Academic Program

Course search You can search for any course offered at Western Sydney University through the online Handbook.

Credit points
The numerical value given to a unit. It indicates the unit's contribution to the total number of units (and credit points) required to complete a course.

Credit transfer
Advanced standing given for previous studies at a recognised university (including approved study undertaken through a study abroad or exchange program), TAFE or other approved tertiary institution such as a formally approved Registered Training Organisation.

CRICOS (opens in a new window)
Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. This is the official Australian Government website that lists all Australian education providers that offer courses to people studying in Australia on student visas and the courses offered. Western Sydney University's CRICOS provider number is 00917K.

Cross institutional study
An approved arrangement in which students from one university or tertiary institution study specified units from another university or tertiary institution. Upon successful completion of those units, students receive Advanced Standing towards their course.

See Commonwealth Supported Place

Current student Student successfully enrolled in a course and units for the teaching session in question.

^ Back to top

Date of delivery
The date on which a notice is:

  • handed to the person who is the subject of the notice
  • delivered to the contact address (as indicated on MyStudentRecords [MySR]) of the person who is the subject of the notice
  • formally acknowledged or receipted evidencing delivery or receipt
  • two days after the date of posting a notice by mail to the contact address (as indicated on MySR) of the person who is the subject of the notice
  • transmitted by email or facsimile where the student concerned has indicated in writing that they wish to receive material in facsimile form and has specified a transmission address.

Is the choice of an applicant, after being offered a place at Western Sydney University, to delay enrolment for no longer than one (1) academic year.

Department of Education and Training (opens in a new window)
The Department of Education and Training is responsible for early child care and childhood education, school education, higher education, vocational education and training, international education and research.

Director of Academic Program
The academic staff member who provides academic leadership and direction for a program. The Director of Academic Program will also coordinate matters affecting delivery and quality control for unit outlines and curriculum materials, and ensure that student issues in all areas of the program are handled appropriately.

A condition due to sickness, sensory impairment or injury that curtails a person's ability to carry on normal pursuits. A disability may be partial or total, and temporary or permanent as verified by a doctor.

Disability Service
The Disability Service assesses the needs of students with a disability or chronic health condition and prepare an Academic Integration Plan (AIP) to provide necessary adjustments to address the effects of the disability or health condition.

Distance education
See External

Domestic students 
Any student who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, New Zealand citizen or holder of an Australian permanent resident humanitarian visa. Also referred to as 'local students'.

Double degree program
An award where two courses are studied at the same time, and in which units from one may be recognised as electives towards the other, but in which the student is allowed to graduate with one award before the other is completed. Those Law degrees that permit more than one graduation (not all do) fall within this category.

^ Back to top

See Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form

eCAN See Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice

Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment

An eDAP is the Director of Academic Program assigned to a Western Sydney University Online course.

E-Learning is the online learning environment known as 'vUWS' (pronounced 'views'). Your course and some of your units may have a vUWS site, which may include your unit or course outline, information about your assessment tasks, study resources and announcements related to your unit or course.

Equivalent Full Time Student Load (EFTSL) is the study load a student must be enrolled in to be classified as a full time student. Each unit of study is awarded an EFTSL value, which is a proportion of the total study load required to complete one full time year of the course. At Western Sydney University, 80 credit points (or 8 units of study) = 1 EFTSL.

A unit which may be chosen by a student, as distinct from a compulsory or core unit.

Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form A form which students must fill out and submit through MySR in order to be a Commonwealth Supported student. If this form is not submitted on or before the relevant census date, students are required to pay their fees upfront.

Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice Students who have applied for a HELP loan and/or hold a Commonwealth Supported place will receive an eCAN from Western Sydney University. The eCAN has information such as enrolled units (including those not Commonwealth Supported), total HELP debt amounts, total up-front payments, any discounts received and relevant census dates for payment of fees.

Electronic Statement of Account
All enrolled Commonwealth Supported and fee-paying (including FEE-HELP) students have electronic access to a Statement of Account. It lists enrolled units, total fees payable, due dates and methods of payment. The eSOA is generally available until the census date of the relevant teaching session. Statements of account are only available online through MySR.

In case of an emergency, all campuses have a 24 hour onsite security office. Security officers can help you with safety concerns and are trained in first aid.

Employer reserved places
Employer reserved places are used by employers and industry bodies to financially support study undertaken by employees for training purposes.

English Language Proficiency
All applicants who have not completed formal studies at secondary or tertiary level in the English language must also demonstrate proficiency in English by achieving a prescribed level in an approved English examination. The approved English Language tests include the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (ToEFL).

The process by which students select one or more units they wish to study each teaching session. Once enrolled, students are required to pay appropriate fees and sign a declaration to abide by the By-Law, regulations and rules of the University.

Equity and Diversity
Services that target staff and students from groups who have been traditionally under-represented in tertiary education and employment. These groups are Indigenous Australians, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, people with disabilities and women, particularly women in non-traditional areas.

Equivalent unit
A unit deemed to be equivalent to another particular unit. If you have successfully completed one of the equivalent units listed, you will need to choose a different unit and you may be eligible for Advanced Standing for that equivalent unit.

See Electronic Statement of Account

A formal supervised assessment process conducted under controlled conditions and designed to test a candidate's learning.

Exchange program
An international exchange program based on an official agreement between two partner universities. Students are required to pay full fees to their home university while studying at a host university and vice versa.

Exchange student
Students can pursue a one or two session(s) full time study program in any field of study. Students may choose any units on offer at the University as long as they meet the entry requirements (prerequisite) for the unit. Students do not pay fees to Western Sydney University, they pay fees to their home university.

If a student is excluded, it means their enrolment is cancelled and they are prohibited from reenrolling. Students are excluded from study due to failure to meet progression requirements or for disciplinary reasons. The period of exclusion must be for a specified period of four to eight teaching sessions but must not exceed 24 months. An excluded student has no right of return to study at Western Sydney University, and must apply for readmission in competition with other applicants to the course in which they wish to resume study.

During a period of exclusion, a student's enrolment will be terminated and the student will not be entitled to have access to University premises, except with the written permission of the Vice-Chancellor. A student who is excluded from the University shall not be granted Advanced Standing for units completed at another university during the period of exclusion.

Exemptions with Advanced Standing
A student may receive an exemption for a specific unit is they have already completed a similar unit or attained equivalent knowledge through prior learning or experience. These exemptions may be granted along with Advanced Standing.

Exemptions without Advanced Standing
Exemption may be granted without Advanced Standing if the student has already achieved the maximum amount of Advanced Standing but is able to demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of a particular unit of study.

Exit award An official award defined as an exit point from a coursework program. For example, if you were studying a Graduate Diploma and ended your study before completing the diploma, you could be awarded a Graduate Certificate if you had completed the requirements of that award.

The removal of a student from the University on a permanent basis for disciplinary reasons.

A study mode that takes place off campus. Study is conducted by mail, email and the internet with course materials supplied by these methods. Periodical attendance on campus may be required.

^ Back to top

All students are liable for a number of fees throughout their studies. These fees may include student contribution and tuition fees and the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

The Fee Higher Education Loan Programme (FEE-HELP) provides financial assistance for the payment of tuition fees by eligible full fee paying students. Please refer to the Study Assist (opens in a new window) website for more information.

Fee notice
See Electronic Statement of Account

Final grades
Final grades are awarded at the completion of a unit. A table explaining the different grades is available on the results webpage.

First Aid
See Emergencies

Food outlets
There are a number of food outlets on each campus.

Full offer
A Full Offer letter is sent when an International applicant has applied for a formal course of study at Western Sydney University.

This letter will state the following:
Course name
Course tuition fee
Compulsory Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) fee
Course commencement date

Full fee paying students
Full fee paying students must pay their tuition fees up front. Eligible fee paying students can choose to defer payment of tuition fees through FEE-HELP. Fee paying students do not receive a Commonwealth Supported place.

Full time student
A student who is enrolled in units that add up to 30-40 credit points (EFTSL 0.375 - 0.5) in any teaching session.

^ Back to top

Getting to uni
See Transport

Go Global
A program allowing Western students to study offshore.

Grade Point Average (GPA)
The GPA is used to measure the academic performance of individual students in order to acknowledge excellence. For more information and the formula used by the University to calculate the GPA, go to the Graduation policy.

Grades are the mark given for an assessment or formal examination for a unit of study. A table explaining the different grades is available on the results webpage.

A student who has completed the requirements of a course and is eligible to graduate, but has not yet had the award conferred.

A student who has had their award conferred (given to them).

Graduation is the ceremony during which a student's award is presented to them and they officially become a graduate.

Grandfathering is a term used to describe the transitional arrangements put in place from time to time by the Australian government when it changes rules or conditions for students. For example, when certain disciplines have moved between Student Contribution Bands, existing students have had their conditions "grandfathered", or maintained, for a set length of time. It has also been applied to various student loan schemes. For more information, please visit the Dept of Education website (opens in a new window).

See Grandfathering

Gyms (opens in a new window)
Situated across five campuses, the gyms offer fully-equipped exercise and change room facilities. Full time students are eligible for a discounted membership rate.

^ Back to top

Handbook (opens in a new window)
The online Handbook is the authoritative source of information about courses, units and specialisations. Students can search the Handbook for specific courses and units.

See Research Degree

Head of Unit
Any person who holds any one of the following positions:
the Vice-Chancellor; a Deputy Vice-Chancellor or nominee; a Campus Provost; the University Secretary; a Dean or nominee; a Head of School or nominee; a Director or nominee; the Security Manager; any other position designated by the Vice-Chancellor as a Head of Unit; or a President of a student association.

The Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS) is a charge that eligible domestic students are liable to pay every session towards the cost of their university tuition. This scheme was replaced by the HECS-HELP loan scheme in 2005.

The HECS - Higher Education Loan Programme (HECS-HELP) assists eligible Commonwealth Supported students to pay their Student Contribution. Students who are eligible for a HECS-HELP loan can choose to defer part or all of their Student Contribution.

Higher Education Funding Act 1988.

See Higher Education Information Management System

See Higher Education Loans Programme

Help desk
The IT service desk offers free assistance to students with technical and computer problems.

See Higher Education Provider

See Higher Education Support Act 2003

See Higher Education Equity Programme

Higher Degree Research
See Research Degree

Higher Education Equity Programme
HEEP assists disadvantaged groups to access Higher Education. The equity groups supported via HEEP are reviewed regularly to ensure HEEP remains focused on those experiencing significant educational disadvantage. HEEP assists a range of people including Indigenous Australians, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, people with disabilities, people from rural and isolated areas, women in non-traditional areas of study, and people from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds.

Higher Education Information Management System
HEIMS is a web-based Information System that DEEWR introduced to accommodate changes brought about by Higher Education reform. Students can use this system to access information relating to Higher Education Providers, courses and unit information, and personal details. Students can access HEIMS with their CHESSN and a web-based private portal.

Higher Education Loans Program
The term Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) refers to a range of loans introduced by the Commonwealth government in 2005. HELP loans include HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP and OS-HELP . For more information, please visit the Dept of Education website (opens in a new window).

Higher Education Provider
A HEP is a University or other Higher (Tertiary) Education institution, such as TAFE or private colleges.

Higher Education Support Act 2003
The Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HESA) provides the guidelines for the Higher Education reforms introduced from 2005.

^ Back to top

See International English Language Testing System

In absentia
To graduate in absentia means a student does not attend their specified graduation ceremony. However their testamur and AHEGS will be posted to them upon payment of the graduating in absentia fee.

Incompatible unit
A unit which cannot be studied with another unit in the same course. If you have successfully completed an incompatible unit, you will need to choose another unit. An incompatible unit will not count towards your required credit points.

Indigenous education
Indigenous students can look forward to learning in a friendly and supportive environment.
Badanami Centre for Indigenous Education provides a range of services for staff, students and community members in accessing higher education. The centre has offices located on each campus.

Indigenous Support Fund
The ISF provides HEPs with funding to increase the participation level of Indigenous Australians in higher education, as they are currently under represented. For more information see the Department of Education page on Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Higher Education (opens in a new window).

See Indigenous Support Fund

A study mode that takes place on campus. Students attend classes weekly throughout the teaching session. This is the most common and traditional mode of study.

International English Language Testing System
An internationally accredited test for students who need to demonstrate English language proficiency.

International students
You are an International student if you not an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, New Zealand citizen, or holder of an Australian permanent resident humanitarian visa.

International support
See SEIS International Liaison Officer

See Electronic Statement of Account

IT support
See Help desk

^ Back to top

Key program
A key program is a compulsory set of units that establishes the area of concentration or specialisation within the course.

^ Back to top

Learning guide
Supplements the unit outline and details the fundamental mutual obligations and responsibilities of the University and students, in relation to the unit. The guide makes explicit the links between each assessment activity and the unit learning outcomes; provides information about each assessment task, including due dates, instructions for submission, and details about the assessment criteria and standards; gives a clear description of what is expected in order for students to achieve particular grades in the unit and describes how content, assessment and learning activities are linked.

Leave of Absence
Approved temporary withdrawal from a course.

A lecture is normally held in a large room or lecture theatre with many students and one lecturer. Students are expected to take relevant notes during the lecture.

We have a library on each campus. Services include printing, copying and binding, as well as an online catalogue.


Local students
See Domestic student

^ Back to top

Either registered; standard mail; express post mail; or student email account where specified by University policy and procedures.

A defined sequence of units in an undergraduate degree which defines an area of focus within a course. A major comprises 80 credit points (approximately 8 units). No more than 30 credit points can be at Level 1. At least 30 credit points must be at level 3 or higher. A major may consist solely of Level 2 and Level 3 units. Please see unit level for more information.

Maps See Campuses

Mature age student
See Non-current school leaver

Meditation rooms
See Chaplaincy

Miscellaneous student
See Non-Award student

A combination of on and off campus study. It includes online and correspondence work and some campus attendance.

See MyStudentRecords

MyStudent Records (MySR) (opens in a new window)
MySR is the University's online student records system, where students manage their enrolment – enrolling, adding, changing or dropping units (until the census date), keeping their personal and contact details up to date, checking their fees and their results.

» MySR help

^ Back to top

Non-Award student
A person who is enrolled in one or more units, but is not enrolled in a course leading to an award.

Non-current school leaver
A student who was not completing Year 12 (or equivalent) at the time of applying to study at university.

Non standard sessions
Any teaching session other than Autumn and Spring.

^ Back to top

Students studying with a partner institution towards a Western award or unit of study.

See Work Health and Safety

Onestop is the secure online payment system students use to pay their fees and charges. Onestop is also used to pay for academic transcripts and Graduations.

Online learning facilitator
Online learning facilitators are assigned to a unit of study (for Online). They provide overall learning support to Online students.

Online Student Support Officer (OSSO)
The Online Student Support Officer (OSSO) is the front line contact for the day to day needs of Western Sydney University Online students and is responsible for delivering high quality student-centred customer service. They provide information and advice to Online students in relation to non-academic aspects of student support, retention and progression, incorporating various media and system solutions.

Week 0 (Orientation) is held twice a year in the week before Autumn and Spring Sessions start.
Orientation provides new students with the opportunity to meet other students in their course and staff teaching their course; find their way around the campus; learn about skills that will assist them with their studies; find out about services we offer and ask questions in a friendly environment.

The Overseas Higher Education Loan Programme (OS-HELP) assists domestic students with travel and living expenses while studying overseas.

Other credentialled learning
Programs or courses undertaken within a workplace, professional organisations or other training context other than recognised universities, TAFEs and other approved tertiary institutions.

O Week
See Orientation

^ Back to top

Paid parking is available on all campuses. Parking can be paid for on a per day 'pay and display' basis, or by purchasing a yearly parking permit.

Part time student
A student who is enrolled in units that add up to less than 30 credit points (EFTSL 0.375) in any teaching session.

See Peer Assisted Study Sessions

Peer Assisted Study Sessions
PASS is a free and voluntary study program proven to improve understanding of unit content and results. It is a student centred, collaborative learning program, run by students for students. It is based on the premise that students learn better together.

Permanent resident
The holder of an Australian permanent residency visa. These students are classified as domestic students for the purposes of assessing eligibility for university entry and Commonwealth assistance.

Postgraduate course
A program of study leading to an award, where entry into the program requires students to have completed an undergraduate course or equivalent studies or experience in that field of study.

Postgraduate specialisation A defined sequence of units in a postgraduate degree which defines an area of focus within the course.

Prayer rooms
See Chaplaincy

A unit which must have been satisfactorily completed, or a requirement which must have been satisfied, before a student may enrol in a particular unit.

A student's movement throughout a course from admission to graduation, satisfying minimum course requirements at each stage.

^ Back to top

A Quarter is a type of teaching session at Western Sydney University. We run four quarter teaching sessions each year. Quarters are primarily used for postgraduate courses in the School of Business.

^ Back to top

Recognition of prior learning
General term used to describe the University's policy of acknowledging learning in other contexts that can be applied to the knowledge, skills and understanding outcomes of study in courses. For more information see Advanced Standing.

Registrar The Registrar is responsible for the academic and student administration of the University.

See Research Degree

Research Degree
Research Degrees include the Doctor of Philosophy, Professional Doctorates and Masters (Honours). Research students work independently on discipline based topics, becoming an expert in their area of interest.

Research Training Program
The Research Training Program is a Commonwealth funded initiative that provides eligible higher degree research students with support for the duration of an accredited higher degree research course. It replaced the Research Training Scheme, Australian Postgraduate Awards and International Postgraduate Research Scholarships in 2017. Please refer to the Dept of Education website (opens in a new window) for more information.

Complete withdrawal from a course by a student.

Students receive results for all assessments and assignments. At the end of each teaching session students receive their final results, which are the cumulative result for each unit of study.

Units may be retired when a new unit is approved to replace the current unit or a School determines that it is unlikely to have a viable intake in the future.

See Recognition of Prior Learning or Advanced Standing

See Research Training Program

Rule Waiver
Students need to lodge a Rule Waiver Request form if they wish to enrol in a unit with a unit rule they haven't met, such as completing a prerequisite unit. Students can only enrol in the unit if their Rule Waiver Request is approved by the relevant Director of Academic Program or Unit Coordinator.

^ Back to top

Scholarships are available for undergraduate and postgraduate study. They provide students with funding towards the cost of their course or research.

An academic unit within the University that undertakes teaching and research in particular areas and the administration of particular units of study.

All campuses have a 24 hour security office.

SEIS International Liaison Officer (SILO)
SILOs are specialist Student Central staff who can help international students with things like student visas etc.

A session, also called a teaching session, is the period during which a unit is taught and assessed.

Special Consideration
There may be times when students experience serious misadventure, accident or extenuating circumstances beyond their control which affects their academic performance. Applying for and receiving special consideration means that those circumstances will be taken into account when their grade is calculated.

Specialisation is the term to describe the specialisations that students can select to make up part of their formal course structure. The most common specialisations that students select are key programs, majors and sub-majors.

A person enrolled at Western Sydney University.

Student Central
Student Central offices are the central point for all student questions and information. Go to any Student Central for student and staff ID cards, forms, information brochures, and to get help. All campuses, except Nirimba Precinct, have a Student Central. You can also contact Student Central on the Student Central Infoline 1300 668 370 or email

Student Contribution
A Student Contribution is the portion of study costs that Commonwealth Supported students must pay. The Australian government provides a contribution to the Higher Education Provider (HEP) for each student that holds a Commonwealth Supported place and the Student Contribution is the remaining amount owing. Students may be eligible for a HELP loan in order to access financial assistance for the payment of Student Contributions. For more information, please see the Fees webpage.

Student email account
A free email account that the University provides to all students. Students are required to check their student email account at least twice a week as part of their enrolment. All email communication with the University must be done using the student email account.

Student Insurances
Student Insurances cover students involved in approved activities for their course, including work experience, placements and internships.

Student load

Student Welfare Service
The Student Welfare Service can help students fill out applications, offer support at misconduct or other hearings, give financial support and advice and refer them to other services.

Study Abroad
Study Abroad enables students from overseas to study at Western. For Western students seeking an overseas study experience, see Go Global.

Study Assist (opens in a new window)
Study Assist gives Information for students about government assistance for financing tertiary study and access to a summary of the Commonwealth assistance they have received, including HELP loans received and Commonwealth scholarship history.

Stuvac is the period immediately before the official exam period. There are no lectures or tutorials during stuvac so students have more time to prepare for exams.

A sub-major is an approved, defined sequence of 40 credit points (approximately 4 units) at any level in an undergraduate course.

The barring of a student from attendance at the University for a specified period of time for disciplinary reasons. A student may be suspended for a period of one to four teaching sessions, which will not exceed 12 months. At the conclusion of a period of suspension, the student has automatic right of resumption of study in their original course, or a course deemed to be equivalent by the University.

During a period of suspension, a student's enrolment will be terminated and the student will not be entitled to have access to University premises or facilities, except with the written permission of the Vice-Chancellor. A student who is suspended from the University shall not be granted Advanced Standing for units completed at another University during the period of suspension.

^ Back to top

The cancellation by the University of a student's enrolment in a course, usually due to failure to meet administrative requirements.

The certificate presented to a graduate at Graduation, indicating the award received.

Tax File Number.

The timetable tells students where and when their classes are scheduled. Students have to build their own timetable using the online system Allocate+.

Test of English as a Foreign Language.

An academic transcript is the formal written record of results achieved in all enrolled units in a course.

Detailed information about the various ways to get to each campus is available on the getting to uni webpage.

Travel concession
Travel concession passes allow students to use public transport at a discounted rate. There are strict eligibility criteria and penalties for misuse.

Tuition fees
Course fees paid by full fee paying students for each unit in which they are enrolled. Full tuition fee paying students do not receive an Australian Government contribution towards their course costs. The Australian Government sets a minimum limit on tuition fees. Tuition fees will not be less than the student contributions paid by Commonwealth supported students in the same course. Fees are charged according to the approved fees schedule, and vary across awards and units. The fee schedule is revised each calendar year, and therefore fees may increase annually.

A tutorial is a small class where set readings and lecture materials are discussed in detail each week. Students sometimes have to lead tutorial discussions or make presentations.

Tutorial registration
Commonly referred to as 'tute reg'. Students have to register for their tutorials using the online registration system in Allocate+. Tutorial Registration happens after enrolment and before classes start. Students need to prepare by reading the information on the Tutorial Registration webpage.

^ Back to top

See Universities Admission Centre

See Universities Admission Index

Uncredentialled learning and skills recognition
Learning that has been gained from work or life experience. Such prior learning may have been gained through work based programs, self tuition, non-accredited professional development programs, TAFE or university programs.

Undergraduate course
A program of study leading to an award that does not require students to have already completed a degree course prior to admission.

UniClinic at Western Sydney University is open to the public six days a week, offering a range of therapeutic health practices at reduced rates.

A unit is the equivalent of a subject at school. Students will study a number of individual units to make up their whole course.

Unit completion
a student completes a unit if they:
a) attend the lectures and other classes, workshops, as specified in course rules
b) satisfactorily complete the written and other work required and
c) satisfy the assessment requirements of the unit.

Unit Coordinator
The academic staff member who is responsible for academic administration matters relating to the unit and the students enrolled in that unit.

Unit information
Provides approved information in summary form to a prospective student about what the student would expect to learn from studying in the unit. The outline provides information about the formal status of the unit in the curriculum, including credit points, unit level, prerequisites for study, and mode of study. Unit outlines provide information about the approved assessment requirements for the unit.

Unit level
The level applied to a unit is an indication of the level of learning required and generally corresponds to the year of study. For example, units at Level 1 are equivalent to 1st year learning expectations and requirements. Each course has specific requirements about how many units must be taken at each level.

Unit outline
A unit outline is a booklet given to students at the beginning of each session, for each unit they're enrolled in. The unit outline generally includes the week-to-week structure of the unit, scheduled readings and topics, assessment information, attendance requirements, required texts and information about referencing and plagiarism.

Unit search
You can search for specific units of study using the online Handbook.

Universities Admission Centre (opens in a new window)
For most undergraduate and postgraduate courses, application for admission to Western Sydney University must be submitted through UAC. If a course requires direct application to the University, this will be advertised on the University website.

Universities Admission Index The UAI was the old system of ranking students based on their performance in the HSC (pre-2009). It was used to determine eligibility for entry into universities and tertiary institutions. For more details about the change, visit the UAC website (opens in a new window).

Western Sydney University.

The University Store
The on-campus bookstore that stocks all textbooks for courses and units. Textbooks are guaranteed to be available in the correct edition and students may be eligible for membership-based discounts. The Co-Op at Western (opens in a new window) is located on all campuses and also stocks fiction and leisure books.

^ Back to top

Venue hire
University venues are available for hire to students, staff and the wider community.

The online learning environment (pronounced 'views').

The Chief Executive Officer of Western Sydney University.

Vice-Chancellor's Excellence awards
The Vice-Chancellor's Excellence Awards were initiated in 2002 to showcase the endeavours and accomplishments of University staff and to most importantly, publicly reward, recognise and encourage their excellent performance and achievements.

^ Back to top

A WesternAccount gives students access to University online services and systems such as student email and My Student Records (MySR).

Western Sydney University Online
Western Sydney University Online is a range of fully online degrees offered by the University.

Whitlam Institute (opens in a new window)
The Whitlam Institute operates with the University of Western Sydney. It is a dynamic public policy institute that commemorates the life and work of one of Australia's most respected Prime Ministers, The Hon. Gough Whitlam AC QC, and bridges the historical legacy of Mr Whitlam's years in public life and the contemporary relevance of the Institute's work to public discourse and policy.

Formally withdrawing enrolment in a unit. There are different procedures and penalties for withdrawing before and after census date. For more information, see the adding, dropping and changing units webpage.

Work Health and Safety
Work  Health and Safety (WHS) is the policies, procedures and activities that protect the safety, health and welfare of all people in the workplace. All students and staff should be conscious of WHS issues. The relevant Office is referred to as the Work Health and Safety Unit.

Working day
Where University documents refer to timelines specified in 'working days', these are taken to mean weekdays - Monday to Friday within normal business hours and excludes public holidays.

^ Back to top