Course and unit rules

Some courses and units have rules or requirements you need to meet before you can enrol in them. Look up your course and units in the Western Sydney University Handbook (opens in a new window) to check for rules before enrolling.

If you don't meet the rules or requirements of a particular unit, your unit enrolment status in MySR will be listed as 'INVALID'.

Invalid unit

If you believe that there is a reason why a rule should be waived, you can apply for permission to enrol by submitting a Rule Waiver eForm (opens in a new window). More information on rule waivers is available on the Rule Waiver page.

If you still have questions or need academic advice regarding alternate unit selection, prerequisites or corequisites, contact your Director of Academic Program or Academic Course Advisor.

Possible rules include:

Prerequisite, corequisite, equivalent and incompatible units

A prerequisite is a course, unit or special requirement that you must complete before being allowed to enrol in your chosen course or unit. A corequisite is a course or unit which must be completed at the same time, or prior to enrolment in your chosen unit.

If the prerequisite for your chosen unit is a special requirement, for example a Working With Children Check or First Aid certificate, you must complete and lodge this special requirement before you will be able to enrol in the unit. Please see the special requirements page for more information.

Prerequisites and corequisites exist to ensure you will have a similar level of understanding of the topics in the course or unit as the rest of the students enrolled.

You cannot enrol in a unit which is considered to be the equivalent of a unit you have already studied. If you have already completed (passed) a unit, you cannot enrol in this unit again.

An incompatible unit is a unit which cannot be studied with another unit in the same course. For example, you may have successfully completed a unit that is considered academically more difficult than the one you are trying to enrol into (e.g. a beginner level language or mathematics unit may be completed before a higher level unit, but not after) or the unit may be considered to have content similar to another you are enrolled in but not similar enough to be considered 'equivalent'. If you have successfully completed an incompatible unit, you will need to choose another unit. An incompatible unit will not count towards your required credit points.

What if I have an unresolved grade for a unit in the current session?
The University will not consider your unit completed until you have a final grade, however the system assumes you will pass any units you are currently enrolled in. This means you will need to wait until your grades are finalised before the system will invalidate your enrolment if you fail a prerequisite or corequisite unit. It also means you cannot re-enrol in a unit that has an unresolved or temporary grade. If the final grade for a unit is a fail grade, you can then reenrol in the unit.

^ Back to top

Study load rule

You may not enrol in more than 40 credit points across all sessions within each half year without permission from your Director of Academic Program (DAP). For Summer Session, you may not enrol in more than 20 credit points across all Summer teaching sessions. This is to make sure that you are attempting a manageable study load. You can request permission from your DAP to enrol in additional credit points by submitting a Rule Waiver eForm.

^ Back to top

Home campus rule

You must enrol in units on your home campus only (listed in 'Course details' in MySR), unless your course requires you to study units across more than one campus. This allows the University to manage the resources of each campus. You can request permission from your Director of Academic Program to study on other campuses by submitting a Rule Waiver eForm. If you enrol in a unit taught at another campus, this is where you must sit your exam for the unit.

^ Back to top

Course completion rules

You must complete all course requirements before you are eligible to graduate. This includes:

  • achieving the specified minimum credit points
  • completing all Specialisations
  • meeting all special requirements, e.g. clinical placement, National Criminal Record Check
  • meeting unit level requirements, e.g. some courses require you to complete a certain amount of level 3 units

Read the How to: check your course progress guide to find out how to make sure you meet your course completion rules.

^ Back to top

Unit level rules

All undergraduate degrees at Western Sydney University have a rule that requires you to complete a minimum of 60 credit points at level 3 (or higher).

That means that there is a limit on the number of level 1 and 2 units you can complete. For example, if your course has a total of 240 credit points, then the maximum number of level 1 and 2 units you can complete is 180 credit points. For Courses longer than three years or more than 240 credit points, all units for years four and above are normally required to be at Level 3 or above.

Once you have reached the maximum number of level 1 and 2 units, you will not be able to enrol in any more level 1 or 2 units.

^ Back to top

Not adding units after week 2 of session

You can't add units to your enrolment after week 2 of the teaching session, because you may miss too much unit material to fully understand the subject. You can request permission from your Director of Academic Program to add a unit after week 2 of session by submitting a Rule Waiver eForm

^ Back to top