Expos Frequently Asked Questions
Find the answers to some of our frequently asked questions for students and employers here.
As of December 2020 Western Sydney University Careers is not currently planning on running physical events in the near future. The information below is relevant for physical events only.
Updates for virtual events FAQs are pending, to be updated in early 2021.
Who are the organisations that will be attending the expo?
Login to Careerhub(opens in a new window) and find the expo you are interested in. Click on the heading and on the right hand side of the event page the employers attending will be listed. The page will be updated closer to the event, so make sure to check back close to the event day.
How should I prepare for the expo?
- It is important to research the organisations that are attending the expo beforehand. This will provide you background information of who they are, graduates they are recruiting, and the opening and closing dates for applications.
- Top 4 tips:
- 1. Plan some questions beforehand and remember, this is a NETWORKING opportunity
- 2. Plan your time at the expo - allocate enough time to speak with relevant organisations
- 3. Dress appropriately
- 4. Display great communication skills: eye contact, firm handshake, attentive listening skills, don't forget to smile, remember the other person's name/s and note contact details for follow up.
- Need more tips? Take a look at our online pamphlet(opens in a new window).
Can I attend an expo?
- All current WSU students and WSU graduates are encouraged to attend.
- You can browse which events are most suitable for you here(opens in a new window). We also encourage students outside of event specific disciplines to attend if they are interested in moving into the field.
What can I expect on the day?
- Careers expos are an opportunity for you to meet with future employers and professional associations to help you build a successful career and gather the information that you require to make informed decisions about your next steps.
- Each expo differs slightly. You can check out the program on the event page close to the event day.
What should I wear?
- All attendees should wear business attire(opens in a new window).
- Remember some of the exhibiting organisations are looking for students to hire. Attend the event dressed appropriately to ensure you project a positive image.
Should I bring a resume?
- It is a good idea to bring a copy of your resume in case you want to show an employer but do not bring a stack of resumes to hand out. Expos are also a good opportunity to receive advice from one of the friendly careers staff on how to improve your resume.
How much does the event cost?
- Careers expos are FREE of charge for all WSU students and graduates.
Will there be food?
- If the event is all day, a light lunch will be provided. At evening events, finger foods will be provided.
- We try to cater for all dietary requirements.
What if I cannot attend?
- If attending an expo is a course requirement and you are unable to attend all, or part of the event, please contact your course advisor.
- Most careers expos are annual events so you might be able to attend in future years. Don’t forget to check out our other careers expos(opens in a new window) as many employers recruit across disciplines.
What is the cost?
- Depending on the event, the cost varies from $100 to $400. We usually provide complimentary registration for not for profit organisations. Please check the individual expo page for further information.
What is included?
- You will get a dressed table with table signage and a light meal for 2 representatives. If there are extra inclusions, they will be listed on the individual expo page.
How long does the expo go for?
- Depending on the event, from 2 hours to all day. We also have careers evenings from 6pm to 8pm. See the individual information pages for more details.
Can I sponsor an event?
- Sponsorship packages are available for all events ranging from $100 to $4000 depending on event. For further information and inclusions, contact Karin Fehlmann, Employer Liaison Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 4736 0898.
How do I register to attend?
- Registration for any careers expo or evening is through CareerHub(opens in a new window). Follow the registration link on the page of the event to register. If you have any issues with sign in, please contact Careers on 4736 0424.
How can I pay?
- Once you have registered for the event through CareerHub, you will be directed to OneStop(opens in a new window), our payment portal, where you will be able to pay with Visa or Mastercard. Alternatively, you can create an invoice that can be paid via BPay or at the local post office with any credit card. International payments can be made by bank transfer(opens in a new window) if required.
- If you experience any difficulties using Onestop, please find step-by-step instructions here(opens in a new window).
Registrations are not open yet, how can I receive an invite?
- To be added to our invite list for any of the expos, fill in our Expression of Interest for Expos(opens in a new window) form and you will be added to the invite list.
Will my stall be powered?
We can arrange for power to be available at your stall. Please let us know that you will require power when you register for the event.
Will I have internet access?
You will be able to connect to the WIFI on the event day. Information about how to connect will be included in your information pack, sent to you close to the event day. You can ask one of our friendly staff to assist you if you experience any difficulties.
Where is the event held and how do I get there?
Careers expos are held at various Western Sydney University campuses. The University has 9 campuses but most expos are held at Parramatta. Find out which campus the event will be held at by checking the event page(opens in a new window). You can find information about getting to and from the campus here(opens in a new window).
You will find paid parking on all campuses EXCEPT Parramatta City Campus (1PSQ). If you are travelling to one of our expo’s at 1PSQ do not fear because there is a loading zone for you to use and you can find parking in the Westfield shopping centre or on nearby streets.