- Vice-Chancellor and President
Board of Trustees
- - Agendas and Papers (Board of Trustees/Committee Members only)
- - Board of Trustees Membership
- Board Meetings
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2020
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2019
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2018
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2017
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2016
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2015
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2014
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2013
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2012
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2011
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2010
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2009
- - Board Meetings 2008
- - Board Meetings 2007
- - Board Meetings 2006
- - Board Meetings 2005
- - Board Meetings 2004
- - Board Committees and Councils
- - Key Information
- Academic Senate
- Office of Governance Services
- Mission, Goals and Strategic Plan
- Contact Us
- Corpus Strategic Funding Areas
Summary 5 June 2013
The Board of Trustees met on 5/6 June 2013 in the Parlor, the Langham Hotel, Sydney. A summary of matters discussed in the open session of the Board meeting is provided below.
Confirmation of Minutes
The minutes of the 10 April 2013 meeting (PDF, 210.78 KB) of the Board of Trustees were confirmed and can be downloaded from this page.
Main items considered by the Board
- Chancellor’s Report
- Vice-Chancellor’s Report
- UWS Summer
- Parramatta CBD
- Management and Funding of University’s Major Capital
- Projects over Recent Years
- Outcome of Postgraduate Member Election
- Board Strategy Day
The Chancellor reported that the Vice-Chancellor’s Selection Committee will be interviewing the shortlisted candidates shortly and is hoping that an offer will be made by the end of July. The Chancellor’s report to the Board outlined meetings and functions attended, including a meeting with the chair of the new UWS Foundation Council to discuss 5 year strategic plan. The UWS Foundation Council will be made up of key business and industry leaders and will play a critical role in helping to secure the financial viability of the University into the future.
The Vice-Chancellor provided the Board with a report outlining recent developments at UWS and in the higher education sector more broadly. In May 2013 the Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills and Research, Craig Emerson visited the Parramatta campus to meet with senior staff and discuss the University’s strategies, accomplishments and plans. The Vice-Chancellor reported on the recent April graduations at which more than 4,000 students graduated from UWS in a wide
range of disciplines, and at which graduands and their guests heard from distinguished speakers from diverse occupations and backgrounds
UWS has launched UWS Summer, which is one outcome of the Academic Year Review 2012 and is a response to student demand for more choice and a flexible learning experience. This new look summer experience will extend the academic year by providing three learning periods for students between December and February and will commence in summer 2013/2014.
The Board was provided with an update on the securing of premises to provide a teaching presence for UWS within the Parramatta CBD. The location of the new premises provides a number of opportunities for the University and will help to build stronger links with both the commercial sector generally in Parramatta, as well as individual industries and employers.
Senior staff from Capital Works and Facilities attended the meeting to provide the Board with a detailed account of the way in which the University manages and funds. Its extensive capital works program includes new buildings, refurbishment of existing buildings, maintenance of almost 2,000 hectares of landscape and the maintenance and cleaning of over 540 buildings across 6 campuses and external sites.
The Board welcomed Elie Hammam as the newly elected postgraduate member. Elie has been a student at UWS since 2006 and is currently a PhD candidate in the School of Medicine. Elie has served on a variety of University committees and replaces Linda Ayache. His term of office is 2 years and commences on 1 July 2013.
The Board held its annual strategy day on 6 June. Presentations from senior staff of the University provided the backdrop for discussions and included the following topics:
- Sector trends and challenges
- UWS Academic Blueprint
- Engagement of Students and Staff
- Community and Regional Engagement
- UWS Research
- Campus Development
- Financial and Commercial Planning
The Board agreed on a plan that sets the strategic direction of the University for the coming years and the Chancellor thanked the staff involved on behalf of the Board for the quality of the material provided.
Other reports and items considered by the Board
- Our Future Action Program – Status Report
- Reports from Committees and Advisory Council of the Board
- Staffing Matters
The Board’s next meeting will be held on Wednesday 11 September 2013.