- Vice-Chancellor and President
Board of Trustees
- - Agendas and Papers (Board of Trustees/Committee Members only)
- - Board of Trustees Membership
- Board Meetings
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2019
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2018
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2017
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2016
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2015
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2014
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2013
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2012
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2011
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2010
- - Board of Trustees Meetings 2009
- - Board Meetings 2008
- - Board Meetings 2007
- - Board Meetings 2006
- - Board Meetings 2005
- - Board Meetings 2004
- - Board Committees and Councils
- - Key Information
- Academic Senate
- Office of Governance Services
- Mission, Goals and Strategic Plan
- Contact Us
- Corpus Strategic Funding Areas
4 December 2013
The Board of Trustees met on 4 December 2013 in the Board of Trustees Room, Building EZ, Parramatta Campus. A summary of matters discussed in the open session of the Board meeting is provided below.
Confirmation of Minutes
The minutes of the 11 September 2013 (PDF, 265.48 KB) (opens in a new window) meeting of the Board of Trustees were confirmed and can be downloaded from this page.
Main items considered by the Board
- Chancellor's Report
- Vice-Chancellor's End of Year Report
- UWS Foundation Council
- 2014-2016 Budget
- Making the Difference 2014-2016
- Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)
- Board Elections and Extension of the Term for Chair of Academic Senate
- Deloitte Building the Future
- Departure of Deputy Chancellors and General Staff Member
- Departure of Vice-Chancellor, Professor Janice Reid
The Chancellor reported that he has met with the Federal Education Minister, the Hon. Christopher Pyne. Indications are that Minister Pyne understands and appreciates the clear mission of UWS and its engagement with the region of Greater Western Sydney.
Vice-Chancellor's End of Year Report
The Vice-Chancellor reported on the successes of the early offer scheme and the iPad initiatives in attracting more students to UWS. The UWS Summer initiative has been well received, and provides the opportunity for students to study units over the summer period. Student satisfaction and retention continue to be priorities and will be key focus areas at the Board's strategic planning day in 2014.
UWS Foundation Council
Danny Gilbert AM, Chair of the Foundation Council, addressed the Board on the deliberations and focus of the new Foundation Council. The Council will work to raise endowments for the University and will provide input and advice on the strategies for growing the funds.
The Board passed the budget for 2014-2016.
Making the Difference 2014-2016
The Board passed the Making the Difference Strategy for 2014-2016 which provides the broad strategic framework under which the University will operate.
Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)
The Board agreed to the proposal that medical students in years 3-5 should pay a reduced SSAF in recognition that they spend significant study time off campus. The Board also endorsed the 2014 priorities for the provision of the student services and amenities fee.
Board Elections and Extension of the Term for Chair of Academic Senate
The Board welcomed the newly elected undergraduate student member, Taylor Macdonald. Taylor's term commences on 1 January 2014 but she has agreed to fill the casual vacancy until then. The newly elected staff member is Jenny Purcell and her term also commences on 1 January 2014. The Chancellor congratulated Dr George Morgan on his re-election as the academic staff member of the Board for a second term.
The Board agreed to extend the term for the Chair of Academic Senate to 31 January 2014, until such time as elections to fill the position can be held.
Deloitte Building the Future
The Deputy Chancellor, Glen Sanford, spoke briefly to the report by Deloitte detailing growth areas in the Australian economy, including tourism, mining, wealth management and agribusiness.
Departure of Deputy Chancellors and General Staff Member
The Chancellor noted that this is the final Board meeting for both Deputy Chancellors, the Hon. Kim Yeadon and Glen Sanford whose terms of office on the Board end on 31 December 2013, and thanked them for their enormous contributions to the University in their many years on the Board and its Committees. The Chancellor also thanked the outgoing general staff member, Lorraine Fordham, for her valuable and insightful contributions to Board discussions during her time on the Board.
Departure of Vice-Chancellor, Professor Janice Reid
In conclusion, the Chancellor on behalf of the Board, extended a warm farewell to the Vice-Chancellor as this was her final Board meeting at UWS. Formal celebrations in the coming weeks are planned at which the Board members will have the opportunity to farewell Professor Reid in person.
Other reports and items considered by the Board
- Our Future Action Program – Status Report
- Reports from Committees and Advisory Council of the Board
- Staffing Matters
- Gender Equality and Diversity Activities
The Board's next meeting will be held on Wednesday 26 February 2014