Date: 25 February – 16 April 2020
Venue: Australia-China Institute for Arts and Culture Gallery, Building EA.G.03, Parramatta South Campus, Western Sydney University. Corner of James Ruse Drive and Victoria Road, Rydalmere.
Gallery is currently closed.
Contact: Lindsay Liu, (02) 9685 9943
Being a new migrant and young mum, I use my art to capture my observations and experiences. I gave my newborn daughter a nickname “Tutu (Chinese expression for little rabbit)”. Wrapped up securely in her blanket, she looked at this world, blinking. I couldn’t help thinking to myself, “Darling, we’re starting a new life together. The life you are having is entirely different to the lives I have had and my parents have had". As an illustration artist, I have been recording the fleeting moments of this new life with my brush. This is a gift of life from me to you and to other young families like ours. The 23 paintings in this exhibition show 23 moments and they are inspired by the little things that happened in our daily life, telling the stories of three generations. There are moments of cultural differences and conflicts, appreciation, expectations, and happiness …I hope these illustrations create a space for your imagination which you can share with your loved ones.
Heli Yang, born in Dalian, China, is a Sydney based artist. Her artistic flare started from a young age, when she enjoyed expressing herself through drawing and crafting. Heli received a double degree in art and design from UNSW in 2007. Her artworks are inspired by events in daily life which have touched her heart, events that can be a small thing, a person or a trip. “Rabbits have very good memories. They are joyful and full of character, and no two rabbits are the same – just like my art and my experiences”, says Heli.
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS AND FEATURES
- “Art by Design Twelve” Selected Group Exhibition in Kinokuniya Wedge Gallery – 2019 Sydney
- “100 Rabbits / 100 Nights” Solo Exhibition in “Long Time No Read” Book Shop – 2019 Shanghai
- “Art by Design Eleven” Selected Group Exhibition in Kinokuniya Wedge Gallery – 2018 Sydney
- “I See You” Selected Group Exhibition in In.cube8r Gallery – 2018 Melbourne
- “The Rabbit Town” First Solo Exhibition in Kinokuniya Wedge Gallery – 2014 Sydney
- Illustrations (Toothy Jack) shortlist in the Australia Qantm Create Design Awards 2012 – Desktop Magazine